Worth the risk?

I purchased it back during the last Steam sale for it. Paid something like $4 for it. BEST $4 I've ever spent. At first I didn't think I'd be able to play it. On my PC it was just so 'touchy'. Push a key and my character would be somewhere I never intended to go. Then I found the Power Tools utility that helps get SR2 to play on a PC, and haven't been able to stop playing.

Honest, it's well worth the price...no matter what you pay for it.

Just adding this....I just finished my very first playthru of Saints Row 2. All I can say to answer your question is, DEFINITELY worth the risk!

Just wow! Awesome game. And even for a game that is what? 4-5 years old now? (Released 2009 in North America) And now that I've finished, I find myself liking my SR2 Boss better than my SR3 and SR4 version. (And I simply mean in looks and voice)
I don't know how you might be in regards to SR2. But I'm glad that I was able to play it. And the best part about SR2? It has definite replay value. SR4 is surprisingly heavily lacking in that department. (IMO).

Just adding this....I just finished my very first playthru of Saints Row 2. All I can say to answer your question is, DEFINITELY worth the risk!

Just wow! Awesome game. And even for a game that is what? 4-5 years old now? (Released 2009 in North America) And now that I've finished, I find myself liking my SR2 Boss better than my SR3 and SR4 version. (And I simply mean in looks and voice)
I don't know how you might be in regards to SR2. But I'm glad that I was able to play it. And the best part about SR2? It has definite replay value. SR4 is surprisingly heavily lacking in that department. (IMO).

It's a lot fun in Co-op, you get to play with the game's glitchy engine, like the physics :)

Just throw a pedestrian against your friend when he's very close, watch him fly!

Yep, I'm late to this thread party but even so, I wanted to chime in:

The world of Stilwater is amazingly crafted in that it really feels like an actual thriving community complete with cheerleaders doing their cheers at the University. It's incredibly detailed.
However, where SR2 failed for me is that it was an open world game that had several missions that did not allow for open world solutions. I can totally understand if that's not a big deal for other gamers but for me, that was a huge failing. I'm a completionist so it wasn't until after witnessing many of my SR2 gaming sessions, my husband finally said to me "Are you sure you're enjoying yourself?" Because he had never heard me yell so often and so much at my computer screen while playing a game. That was when I realized SR2 just might not be for me. That, as well as the horrible controls even when using an Xbox controller, but the
icing on the cake for me was how my awesomely kickass thug diva, who was awesome in every single cutscene, would inevitably have to run around like she crapped her pants as she shot things who were running at her like they crapped their pants. It really killed the badass feeling for me.

So yeah, I just wanted to give my account as a fairly recent Saints Row fan who got on the bus at the end. I'm not willing to admit that my opinion would be drastically different if I had started with the SR franchise from the beginning because I'd been playing open world games pre 2008 and I just have a hard time believing that the open world without open world solutions for missions would have flown with me then.

Last edited:
I find it strange how many complain about horrible controls and the like.

I had never experienced bad controls in Saints Row 2. Funnily, I did on SR3 but it was temporarily and probably visually if I can remember correctly.

Last edited:
will saint row 2 run on windows 7, I have it on my xbox but would love to try it on my PC because all your mods for saint row 3 & 4 are so awesome that I hardly use the xbox now.

I agree that saints row 2 has bad controls, but I got used to it quite easily.
Especially because 10 years ago I played with videogames that had even far worse control than Sr2 (one is Sonic Adventure), and I almost finished it at 100%, though today I prefer to play Sonic games with a controller.
To me Sr2 still works better with mouse and keyboard than with a controller.

will saint row 2 run on windows 7, I have it on my xbox but would love to try it on my PC because all your mods for saint row 3 & 4 are so awesome that I hardly use the xbox now.

Yup...should run with no issues. (Outside of the ones that you may have already read regarding SR2 on the PC) But when I purchased SR2 for PC, I was using Windows 7, the 64 bit version....and after 'dummying down' my CPU with IdolNinja's guide....SR2 ran just fine.

Back