Why I hate the Saints row fanbase, Part II. (rant)

Maybe I've never had bad experiences with this haircut. In fact, I've known a couple of women who had that haircut, and they WERE badass.

Okay, so this haircut has been overused since 2016. I missed it. I'm not up on pop culture. Give me ONE example of a character with this same haircut.
Ruby Rose's Batwoman? There are many variations of that haircut, I'm not a hair stylist so I'm not sure.

Yeah, I don't think any character's arcs were wrapped up properly in any game past 2. If they couldn't even be bothered to finish up the story thread of the boss going after Dex, what makes you think they'll handle these new characters well? Their last game was Agents of Mayhem. They've given no reason for people to trust them with anything.
sorry i'm kinda using your reply as a springboard to whine about this in general but this is really my beef with the later games too, i don't think they're bad but i also don't think they were a satisfactory continuation to sr2 at all, and that is what i really want from this franchise but i know i'll never ever get it. srtt feels like a soft reboot more than anything in the way it treated the pre-existing characters, namely they were either unceremoniously killed off or rewritten and redesigned to the point they're almost unrecognizable (and V even wanted to bomb Stilwater to the ground in one of the earlier drafts of the script which says a lot imo). there's a lot of interesting character stuff you could've done with Dex, Troy, Boss and their relationship with Julius and Ben King and so on, but it was all dropped in favor of V/THQ basically wanting a do-over fanbase

so to me the "old" saints row is an unsatisfactory mess because it's really two very different series, but they'd never go back and give sr2 an alternate continuation. i guess a hard reboot really is the only sensible option here so i understand why they went that route, just sucks that personally i can't really feel any excitement over it because i'm still stuck thinking about the story of the actual Saint's Row and its inhabitants.

Ruby Rose's Batwoman? There are many variations of that haircut, I'm not a hair stylist so I'm not sure.
i've never seen batwoman. But I googled Ruby Rose. I dunno. She has a lot of haircuts. The only similarity is see is that it's short hair as opposed to long. Maybe it's because I live in Japan, watch almost no tv, and watch very few movies. I don't care if the character in the trailer has short hair. But, I asked for an example, you gave one. Thank you!

Honestly...

As a quick summary of my thoughts on previous titles so you know where I stand...
-I never played SR1.
-I started with SR2 and it's my favourite, great blend of very real gang violence that wasn't overtly whacky, but with side activities that were and brought bit of light hearted break from the seriousness of the story when needed.
-Played SR3 and thought it was decent at best but disliked the direction most of it went in such as gameplay, not wrapping up the stories they told properly, the map design of Steelport and overall tone (they could've had a serious commentary on the criminal highlife and what that brings, but unfortunately that's not where they decided to go).
-Loved AoM because it was a good reboot with the right amount of fanservice and originality blended together. Also it was stylish af and the map was the best I've seen in a game in years, It's that good. The missions unfortunately were VERY repetitive and there wasn't much interaction with the actual inhabitants considering the heros were basically gods.
-Loved SR4 but only when I disassociated it from Saint's Row, if I didn't then that'd be a different story.

The gameplay, from what trusted SR content creators are saying, seems fire and probably the best in the series. The Map, from my time playing Agents Of Mayhem, brings me hope that they can make a new map with all the personality, quality and features Stilwater brung, like AoM's Seoul did. The art style, I like it and I prefer the slight cartoony look, it didn't look as bad in-engine as it did in the CGI trailer anyway.

I only got a problem with Kevin and the Idols.

Kevin seems like no Saint to me, what he really seems like is the guitarist that tattoo's Maero in SR2, really a nobody with his interests being a minor benefit to their gang, except he's annoyingly smug as shit and has plot armour. The SR2 Boss would smoke this punk after 5 minutes of conversing with him. Also there's the fact that even after joining the Saint's he still seems to wear the Idols getup which really pisses me off. Fly our colours and get that damn helmet off man. If you left the Idols only to join our gang, then get that shit off!
Just think about it like this, if you wanted to leave the Crips to join the Bloods, and we gave you that opportunity but you still wanted to rep blue, yet you were completely complaisant with us like Kevin seems to be, we'd probably take you somewhere and kill you on the spot. This is coming from a former/reformed Blood, so, I'm still pretty emotionally invested in the portrayal of gang life in media and Kevin really ain't doing it for me yet. That's just how I feel tho.

With the Idols, I never liked the Deckers in 3 and even laser weapons for that matter because they seemed to be added in for the shits, why not right? It's that mentality that sours my taste for cyberpunk-esque content in SR in general because I know the only reason it's there is because it looks cool. Conjecture aside the Idols obviously don't fit the street gang aesthetic they should be (and they marketed to us by that damn graffiti wall) going for with a reboot to the series. OP, you said this fandom is what murdered Saints Row but that couldn't be further from the truth. Volition are a very talented and enthusiastic bunch of people, but it's clear they want to go in all sorts of directions as they couldn't even be bothered to tie up Dex's loose end and just went with the flow regardless of logic and continuity. Couple that with most of their developer commentary streams where a lot of their explanations for whacky additions is just why not, it's no wonder most fans feel like they've been thrown for a loop. Oh, and the cat ears. Why. I can live with the electronic helmets, but get rid of the cat ears. It throws out any and all potentially seriousness with them and I can't help but laugh at these damn fools. Come on guys.

With that said, I'll buy this game no matter what, because I only want nothing but success for Saint's Row and Volition, as they are really open, down to earth and loveable, which is rare of most companies, not even retaining to gaming. If there was one thing I hope that is added to the game, It's full on mod support. SR4 I'm pretty sure was the most modded SR game and that's only because Volition released the tools to do so. Just compare some of the mods from SR3 and SR4, even though they're the same, the actual scale and quality of some of....... ok ngl as I was writing this I kind of forgot I was on the damn modding forum so uh nvm, I'm sure yall know what I'm trynna say.

And SR3 and 4 fanbase showing some sign they turning back against volition right now. This post aged well

And SR3 and 4 fanbase showing some sign they turning back against volition right now. This post aged well
I mean not really, I've seen nothin' but outwards support from all sides of the community who are starting to embrace the reboot as an SR game. There's just a very small minority that's spreading false narratives that huge portions of the community have iced out Volition which is just not realistic.

We will see about that if SRR fails... I'm sorry volition i will not pre order your games again but i'm sure will do SRR reviews in FB groups..

Idk where are you getting your info, but the game is selling well. Canadian Gamespot made it a hot item, which means people aren't allowed to buy more than one copy of it. If its truly as bad as you claim, I don't think Deep Silver would ban people from buying more than one copy and prevent them from boosting sales.

TL;DR Reboot is doing fine, yall are just in an echo chamber ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Back