Saints Row IV Why i hate SR IV

i know i created this thread last year, and i just wanna say that i have tons of reasons to complain about the game, and also about the modding. the second creation kit (to create new models/morph) is supossed to be released on november last year, and now it's almost november again. Still no creation kit, i've been waiting for so long until early 2015. still no creation kit, until i give up. i decided to play games like Skyrim, Gta, The Witcher, and stuff. compared to skyrim. Saint's Row The Third was released in the same year as Skyrim, but look at saint's row mods... all you see is just some.. replaced textures, few command mods, better lighting or some random outdated mods. and in Skyrim, there are immersive mods, new hair mods, even a DLC sized quest mod. So that's why i'm complaining. My advice: Move on, there are tons of games outside. this game is just too outdated and i dont even know what to do after i finished the story, you just explore a small tiny world with a few enterable buildings. while games like Skyrim, The Witcher, GTA. has tons. That's all i wanted to say, PEACE.
no offense but it sounds like your problem is with the modding community more than the game

I'm a fan of saints row series, but i don't like the 4th one, and this is the reasons why i hate it.

- The city is simulated
- Crib replaced with gateway
- Few Graphic Improvement
- Cars are useless since theres supersprint
- Oleg, Viola, Angel, Zimos (ik he's in ETD) is gone
-There's almost no enterable places

I guess, that's all the reasons. What's yours?
At least viola and lin are found in the game's files but however unused.

I assume you are being facetious, but I feel people are missing the point of the simulation. It is a rip-off of The Matrix (and I mean that in a good way, oddly). The Matrix was a very fun movie and I wished a good game was made about the movie and well what better than one in the Saints Row universe? Did you feel detached emotionally from the characters in the movie because they spent most of their "time" in the simulation? I didn't. Keep in mind all the fake people in the matrix itself were actually real, but in those containers unconscious because they havent/hadnt been freed yet. If you truly did not like the movie because of the premise, then well it is understandable you dont like the premise of this game as it is basically the same except with aliens instead of AI.

The whole notion about dying in the simulation is not dying etc is silly. You didnt "die" in SRTT either, if you were mid mission you may get the message "mission failed: you died" then you restart from checkpoint and youre alive again (that is death to you?). If you are out of a mission you just start over at a hospital. Almost no game has "death" the way you are describing that SR4 is lacking, maybe Dark Souls where you respawn as undead? Is that what you want?

I do however wish that Zimos, Oleg, Viola and the rest were still in the game other than like 2-3 lines of dialogue (if that). Sure we get Asha and Matt as replacements, but I feel there is almost no need to use homies in this game as when they are normal they barely keep up and when they are super they are too powerful and can literally do all the fighting without you.

I assume you are being facetious
Yes
all the fake people in the matrix itself were actually real
But that's the key difference between The Matrix and Saints Row IV. In The Matrix, most of the people ARE living and feeling real people, so you can have some empathy for them even though they are trapped in The Matrix. In Saints Row IV, the street people are clearly unfeeling bots. Nothing more. I think the goal of a truly immersive video game should be to make the characters as relatable as possible. That gives the player a stronger emotional attachment to the game and story, even if those characters are just part of the "supporting cast". I feel absolutely no emotional attachment or empathy for the street people bots in Saints Row IV. I'd like to be able to at least try to imagine that the pedestrians are real, and I shouldn't run over them. If we are told that they are nothing more than bots in a simulation, we already know they are not real so there's really no reason at all not to run over them.

In defense of the whole Saints Row series in general, I think Volition has done a really excellent job of creating a whole ensemble of very relatable and likable core characters, and that's something that really keeps me coming back to the series. Even "evil" characters like Dane Vogel have some endearing traits that make them hard not to like. I just want to see a real public (in game) that can also appreciate all these great core characters.

EDIT: sorry -- I edited this a bunch of times. I think I'm done now. :)

Last edited:
I agree SR4 is a much more sterile atmosphere and even feels a bit "lonely" in comparison to SR2/SRTT inside the simulation, but I wasn't exactly avoiding running over people in SRTT because they were "living". To me it was more that calling homies to do the survival events or take over the map was actually useful, as well as (someone mentioned) the cribs. The lack of cribs and the general detached attitude of the team may be causing some of the feelings here, and I agree, as they are all kind of just doing their own thing on the ship, barely caring if you talk to them. Besides doing the actual rescue and loyalty missions they are basically like "hey do some stuff for me I guess ... oh you did? thanks". As I mentioned, calling them to fight with you is nearly useless and doesn't feel as "bonding" as the previous games.

Also in the Matrix movie, the "living" people were completely dispensable, killed constantly whenever the main characters felt like it (lol) because their lives were apparently irrelevant and meaningless to the end goal and could also be taken over by the agents at any time. You can see this in any of the shooting scenes where countless cops are being killed, as well as randomly through the movie as people die/are killed by agents or Neo's group. They are basically treated like the extra public people in SR4 as just part of a simulation (even though in the movie they are living...), it is sort of sad that way, however similar nonetheless.

Yes

But that's the key difference between The Matrix and Saints Row IV. In The Matrix, most of the people ARE living and feeling real people, so you can have some empathy for them even though they are trapped in The Matrix. In Saints Row IV, the street people are clearly unfeeling bots. Nothing more. I think the goal of a truly immersive video game should be to make the characters as relatable as possible. That gives the player a stronger emotional attachment to the game and story, even if those characters are just part of the "supporting cast". I feel absolutely no emotional attachment or empathy for the street people bots in Saints Row IV. I'd like to be able to at least try to imagine that the pedestrians are real, and I shouldn't run over them. If we are told that they are nothing more than bots in a simulation, we already know they are not real so there's really no reason at all not to run over them.

In defense of the whole Saints Row series in general, I think Volition has done a really excellent job of creating a whole ensemble of very relatable and likable core characters, and that's something that really keeps me coming back to the series. Even "evil" characters like Dane Vogel have some endearing traits that make them hard not to like. I just want to see a real public (in game) that can also appreciate all these great core characters.

EDIT: sorry -- I edited this a bunch of times. I think I'm done now. :)
I think that Saints Row IV was made to make you feel lonely in the simulation . Because the earth was destroyed and so there's only you and the saints, no more real people in the street . The simulation was made like a simulation . Only some real people can enter it and everything is fake in it . Saints Row IV was made like this : It's a simulation, you don't care about anything .

I think that Saints Row IV was made to make you feel lonely in the simulation . Because the earth was destroyed and so there's only you and the saints, no more real people in the street . The simulation was made like a simulation . Only some real people can enter it and everything is fake in it . Saints Row IV was made like this : It's a simulation, you don't care about anything .
Well, if that was the goal, then they achieved it very well. But, personally, I much prefer a living, thriving, "real" city like in Saints Row 1, 2, and 3. I mean, I can't imagine that the psychopathic Johnny Gat we all know and love would feel very fulfilled killing fake people! :D

I agree I'd definitely like a real city with living people (or person-like aliens if the plot goes that way...). I felt most connected or immersed or whatever you want to call it in Saints Row 2, even though I definitely play 3 and 4 more. 2 had the atmosphere, customizations and interactions with the environment to really make you feel like you were in Stillwater. 3 and 4 were more polished of course with a better more stable engine, graphics and actual physical interactions making you feel more in control and physically "in the game", yet 3 still felt slightly more detached than 2 for me. Saints Row "5" could just be a total cop-out and be the Saints Row 2 game redone with Saints Row 4's graphics/engine/interface/whatever and I'd be happy :p (as many people have said before). Of course I'd take a new game too though with a mix of both.

Last edited:
Back