Which Saints Row game(s) do you like to go back to most often?

Logic died along with Saints Row 3, there's no need to even go into the storyline past this point.
The thing is, games like Just Cause 2, Crackdown 1 and the arcade classic Rampage prove you don't really need a story as long as the game play is fun. However with Saints Row Volition keeps stripping out and removing gameplay features between games and for no reason! Granted it was justified with the transition from SR2 to SR3 but SR4 and GOOH have absolutely no excuse. Why? Because unlike SR2 these games all use the same engine. So you would think it would be easier to port content between games. So far with SR4 and GOOH they have taken a chainsaw to a decent open world, ped variety, enemy variety, civilian AI, main missions, side missions, decent weather effects, numerous vehicles, boats and grenades. However the biggest cardinal sin is that SR GOOH axed the only thing that made SR different from SP open world titles, customiaztion. I have no idea why Volition thought such a ham-fisted downgrade was a good idea. Especially since modders have managed to re-enable character customization. For me GOOH was when I really started to lose my trust with Volition. In my opinion it's fine if the SR games are wacky, but when key features such as customization as well as entire vehicle and weapon categories are cut in the name of "style" or "wackiness" that's when your games start to fall under the category of "all style but absolutely no substance".

Last edited:
Honestly, If SRIV had a better map I wouldn't have any problems with it, I didn't really play Saints Row 2 so that explains things. I think they did improve from SRTT with some of the stuff like Weapon skins, Car Customization (Which is totally useless in IV though), but I think the game was rather enjoyable I liked the missions and all that, it kind of felt longer than SRTT, to me atleast. GOOH now.. the game to me has literally no reedeming quality, There's 3 missions and shit-ton of activities, I mean I get it it's a DLC but even the missions packs had more stuff, No customization, playing as predefined character(s), shitty peds, Even though I didn't play SR2 Dex was a big fucking dissapointment, no radio, shitty vehicles, there was much less humor or anything memorable. I get it DLC, but I think the time that was used to make this game could've been used on anything else.

I think the time that was used to make this game could've been used on anything else.

The project was mostly done by High Voltage. The majority of the studio has been working on... something else.

The majority of the studio has been working on... something else.
I was actually assuming that this was the case, so thanks for confirming it! :) That's one of the reasons I didn't expect so much from Gat Out Of Hell.
Volition still needs a source of income to pay all their talented employees to work on wondrous new things, so I'm guessing that the "something else" has probably been in the works since well before Gat Out Of Hell. There's got to be a very big lead time to any project of this magnitude. And I would imagine the whole move from THQ to Deep Silver was quite a distraction. But what little experience I've had modding the game gives me a hell of a lot of respect for all the talented people in the Core Technology Group (and I'm absolutely thrilled that Knobby, a member of that group, is so willing to help us out here). And whenever I play the game I can see the incredible amount of artwork, writing, voice talent, and everything else that goes into a game like this. And all those cool effects that we take for granted, like car crushing (non-trivial to implement, I'm sure). I can't even imagine what it takes to bring all this together! :eek: :D
Keith David isn't Julius Little though.
WHAT?!!! But he sounds just like him! Next you'll be telling me that Laura Baily is not the Boss! :confused:

Last edited:
Bizarrely enough canonically speaking Julius and Keith are two different characters (despite the fact that both characters share the same voice actor) all though Volition could've easily retconned what happened to Julius at the end of SR2 by saying that the Boss shot him in the arm or something. Remember this is the same universe where someone who was blown up can escape with minor injuries. Besides it's clearly shown in SR3 that cloning technology not only exists but is advanced enough to restore a persons memory. Lastly thanks for the new info Idol! Hopefully if that "something else" Volition has been working isn't SR5 than it's the full-fledged modding SDK.

Last edited:
VA's come and go, Julius is just someone who was voiced by RL Keith David, Keith David (Ingame) is based on RL Keith David because the Boss thinks 'Mmm I need a Vice President, Oookay then.' It can also be used as comedic relief when most characters remark he sounds just like Julius.

Back