Volition has become part of Gearbox Software

Boy howdy, I have no idea how to really react to the Gearbox news. I'm hoping that with the wording of this being one of many future moves between the companies that the future promised plans for the current game will remain in place. I just.. I'm trying to stay optimistic. I know there's a lot of naysayers right this moment and y'know that's fair, it's fine if this one wasn't what you were in to. I remember the fandom being plenty split over 2 and 3 respectively, but I just... I can't help but feel sad for a dev that I still really care about.

All I think about when I see the transfer between companies is "Bad Deep Silver, bad. It's their project now".

I'm sure it goes a lot deeper than that, but still. Here's hoping Gearbox knows what the hell they're doing with the franchise.

All I think about when I see the transfer between companies is "Bad Deep Silver, bad. It's their project now".

I'm sure it goes a lot deeper than that, but still. Here's hoping Gearbox knows what the hell they're doing with the franchise.
*looks at Borderlands 3 and the latest TFTB*

Yeah they're fucked, they brought this upon themselves

I read the article.
You made it sound as though you had new information. I'm disappointed.

I'm bemused that Volition themselves seemingly haven't put their own presser out. There isn't even a basic "joined the fold" tweet. Won't be at all surprised if we see downsizing announcements soon. Gearbox isn't going to need a lot of the upper structure at Volition if Gearbox is going to be calling the shots for future projects, and wording such as "including an experienced management team in the US, to create future success at Volition" very much indicates that this will be the MO going forward.

You made it sound as though you had new information. I'm disappointed.

I'm bemused that Volition themselves seemingly haven't put their own presser out. There isn't even a basic "joined the fold" tweet. Won't be at all surprised if we see downsizing announcements soon. Gearbox isn't going to need a lot of the upper structure at Volition if Gearbox is going to be calling the shots for future projects, and wording such as "including an experienced management team in the US, to create future success at Volition" very much indicates that this will be the MO going forward.
1669019498940.png

😐 Literally the second chunk of this section explains why they're merging with Gearbox.

Literally the second chunk of this section explains why they're merging with Gearbox.
Not sure who you're replying to?

Yes, we all know why they're being put under Gearbox's control. That's not the kind of presser I was referring to. Thirty years in the industry. It's polite etiquette in a situation like this for the subordinate developer to make an on-boarding announcement. The only times I haven't seen an acquisition/rebranding/reallocation statement from the junior studio, is when that change was hostile, unexpected, or when the original relations team has been given a gag order, and/or aren't working for the company anymore.

To an experienced ear, the silence from Volition marketing is deafening.

Questionable writing and CEO behavior aside, Gearbox aren't a bad fit for V at all I feel, as mechanically and marketing-wise their stuff is quite solid, I also quite liked Tiny Tina's Wonderlands and it's character customization (as sparse as it was compared to SR5).

I just hope Volition Doesn't Get consumed by Gearbox. I don't Trust Gearbox and haven't for a looong time. But I haven't read about, or know about, Gearbox Killing off any other Studio. I'll Read more about it, Just Be careful Volition.

Back