Saints Row: The Third Traffic and world zone questions

This is probably better explained in a doc, but for now this will have to hold you over.

Objects in the zone files should be hackable...we also support dynamic objects so it isn't out of the question to get object creation done via lua script. I'm personally hoping for that. You guys write lua(maybe even a dll?) and you can create a mission start node and do your own thing. Currently if you knew the correct offsets you could change an existing object, but that doesn't seem to interesting. It might be easy enough to figure out the format of the compressed objects and add them to the data file. I'm not entirely sure.

PS3 made us go to c/g split files. This is a cpu and gpu file. Since the PS3 has split memory, we had to do that to load the file into the proper place in memory. I generally refer to a file by the cpu name only, but I'm usually talking about the collection of both of them.

CZN, zone file:

We break the world up into multiple layers for streaming purposes. We have a grid of always loaded, a medium lod and a high lod. We also have trigger based streaming originally for interiors, but used a good deal on SR3 for missions as well. Things like the Stilwater bank are trigger based.

Originally there was just the czn file, but we found that the header on that file added up to a lot of memory, so we broke it off into a czh file that we load just to load the zone and then toss out. The header will list the assets needed to load the zone(for streaming container building) and some other information that is only needed once at load time.
Medium LOD:

A medium lod zone is named the brick xz coordinate(1609). There can be a s or f, which stand for fast and slow. When we originally made the pipeline we tried to put things that took a long time to crunch like havok data into the slow file thinking that we would usually just crunch the faster crunching fast file and live with bad collision data. It turned out they were both plenty fast to crunch so it wasn't an issue. It is somewhat of a relic now, but we split things up into fast and slow files still.

Always loaded:

Always loaded zones come in two flavors. First is the always loaded for each brick/trigger zone. 1609~al for example. These are the AL things like objects for this specific zone. The other type is the global always loaded. We tried not to put many things into this file(awld.czn) because of file contention issues with revision control. Other than when these are loaded, they are just zone files.

High LOD:
These files end in ~h0/~h1/~h2/~h3 and represent the high lod data for a zone. This is just mesh data in SR3. A zone is simply broken up into 4 equal parts with the southeast portion being h0, southwest is h1, northeast is h2 and northwest is h3.

Trigger zones:
These zones have a trigger BSP volume in the ~al portion that drives when to load the zone. We have two versions in SR3, small and large. The small triggers are for stores like Let's Pretend and the large ones are for things that require more memory. The small triggers load into their own mempool and we only load one at a time. The large triggers use the same memory as the zones, so we have to kick out zones in order to load them. Things like 3count is a large interior with a small interior gating the entrance(which is why it has a somewhat convoluted entrance, we don't want you to see things loading).

Zone swaps:
This is why sometimes you can see things and sometimes you can't. We can swap any zone and things like the bridges going up or blown up buildings and upgraded strongholds are often accomplished with a zone swap. These are zones with a ^swap_name on the end. To swap to bridges up, you might enable to ^bridge swap which will load 1609^bridge instead of 1609 when you are in the area. We also do the swap on the AL, which is a bit more complicated since it is always loaded. We also use zone swaps for missions that need a unique area like the bank for mission 1.

str2 files are just packfiles with a different extension. They are specifically made from the streaming container to load the data, so we don't have to seek all over the place in order to load something. We smash together all the parts(czn, cmesh, vbm, etc) into a single file.

Peg files are just files which hold multiple textures so we can interleave mips for the 360 to save space. These existed in in previous titles like SR2. In SR3, we use pegs for some things like characters and vehicles, but use vbm's (which came from RFG IIRC) for most other things. A vbm is simply a peg file with a single texture entry inside it. I assume it stands for Volition BitMap, but I'm not positive on that one. The advantage there is each zone file can have multiple textures inside it, but brick.tga is probably used in a lot of the neighboring zones. If we load the vbm, we can store it in memory only once easily, but if we are loading the PEG with the texture interleaved, we just duplicate that data. We took a hit on the 360 by not interleaving the texture data, but the duplication savings made up for it.

Here is a probably massive map with the zone overlay. 3count is mostly in zone 1608 here. The zones start at 0000 in the southeast and go to 2525 in the northwest. The world doesn't actually extend that far though.

PSjL1bv.png

Moving to our new Ask Volition subforum and renaming

Where are the traffic splines located in the game files? Is this something we can edit without Volition's world building tools? For example, I would like to add water traffic splines to have police boats, jet skiers, etc driving around on the water around the city.
I'm guessing it's road splines that are causing certain areas to be relatively inactive, even when you're on high notoriety. I'm thinking specifically of Kinzies warehouse and the adjacent dock.

Probably a combination of road and sidewalk splines. We also have different nav mesh data for vehicles and peds since you don't want vehicles to go all the same places that peds can.

Are map boundaries defined in the outlying czn files as well? i.e. the boundaries that push you back into the map with "The Saints Need You In Steelport"? I would love to extend those so that we can visit mission location zones outside of the missions. Currently if we load the Stilwater bank zone and Mars only half of each of these zones is accessible (the boundaries won't let you visit the rest.)

I don't recall us doing anything with the boundaries. Are you sure that you can go to those areas during the missions? We do the boundary because our havok world is only so large...

I am absolutely certain. For example, in the open world, if I load in the Stilwater zone with the bank just like mission 1, and then teleport to the start of the mission in the bank lobby, it will forcibly push me back outside with the message that the saints need me in Stilwater. If I do the manual teleport while the mission is running though, everything works perfectly and it teleports me right to the correct bank lobby spot. It's like Stilwater is cut in half along the game boundary and that there is something specific in the load of mission 1 that is removing that particular boundary restriction. The exact same case for m24 Mars. We can load that zone and teleport there and explore half of it in the open world, but the boundary intersects so we can't go into the killbane fight arena.

The interesting thing is that the boundary is only lifted for that particular section of the map for that particular mission. So, I can't just start m01 and teleport from the bank to m24 Mars and go into the killbane fight area. It pushes me back out. Vice versa too. The other zones that are out to sea work fine though and are within the boundary; example, decker vr, cyber blazing track, genki arena, etc.

Are you sure this isn't just a zone swap issue? If you turn on the same zone swaps in the bank including the interior of the bank itself does it still happen? I'll see if we have anything in lua to disable that funtionality, but I really don't think we do.

Yes, it still happens. For really reals.

As i recall... -- this was a while ago -- entering mission 1 disabled all of the boundaries. Stripping out the mission lua to keep from teleporting to Stilwater, i could fly around in my aircraft and whatnot. We've swapped in the city and the bank interior outside of the mission, but couldn't approach the bank without being pushed back.

Passing the boundaries with the mission running had different effects depending on which direction you were going in. Stilwater is in the southwest. If you go far enough south, you go beyond the end of the water and fall into space. Going west would cause you to get stuck in midair. I suppose this is the end of the havok world, with physics being ignored beyond that. Maybe it was only south and west, and the boundary was still in effect for the others. It'd be hard to explain IdolNinja's experience if all the boundaries were disabled.

Back