Thoughts on mandatory Steam account connection

I kind of feel like that this site should restrict download access unless you connect your steam account to your forum account. Too many pirates reaping the benefits of our hard work. At least then when something seems hinky, Admins can simply check their Steam account to make sure they actually own the game. What do you think? Good idea? Bad idea?

I hate connecting my steam account to anything (including Humble Bundle) for security purposes. I think it's funny when the pirates come and IdolNinja or someone else comes in with a banhammer.

I hate connecting my steam account to anything (including Humble Bundle) for security purposes. I think it's funny when the pirates come and IdolNinja or someone else comes in with a banhammer.

I agree it is funny, but it also looks annoying when you constantly see people going "Hey, can u help me with this mod? I have the Skidrow version of the game" and/or "Can u plz add dlc for my version of the game? Its retail" So many laughs to be had.

But I reckon that the idea of linking your Steam account is a way of showing honesty and being more direct to the staff on the site. I mean, if you check out another person's profile, that's wasting time when you could be doing something else. Who wants to go checking hundreds of Steam accounts out anyway when people can just link it? I would think that it is easier this way.

We talked about this long ago and decided it was a bit draconian and not worth doing.

I don't like requiring a login to download - you don't have to log in to access anything other than the adult corner - and that's mostly for legal reasons!

Back