The Modding News Destined to Change Everything

cant wait for this to happen i will be watching mods really keep me playing these type of open world games for a long time... my gta is really different so i cant wait i hope lots of mods will pouring out when the tools are available. Especially clothes... i like clothes.. lol

Howdy all,

My name is Jeff Thompson and I'm the Studio Director of Programmers over at Volition. I just wanted to take a moment to say hi, and that there are a lot of people at Volition excited to be able to embrace the modding community more. I'm currently getting a group of people together to start getting information put together for everyone. This will be something of a 'spare' time effort (a lot of people are busy with a certain game we'll be shipping soon. :) ).

We are going to start by focussing on getting information for SR3 available. (Don't worry we won't forget SR2 as well!) To start with I'm planning on getting out a public set of LUA documentation, and getting a bunch of people on gathering information on systems and making that public. This will include file formats, etc. I'd like us to create a growing list of articles that discusses the systems (or features of the systems) to help you all make more mods for them. All of this will be made public through a site we'll be setting up soon. As we make this available, we'll be looking to these forums for feedback on the articles, questions, etc.

As we get to know each other and move forward with that, we'll also be looking at what makes sense for SR4 and also for the future beyond that. Unfortunately, our current games aren't extremely friendly to modding and have fairly complex backend systems for development. That might make some things harder to do than anyone would like, but I expect we'll still accomplish quite a lot.

Cheers!

Jeff

Jeff, it's great to see you posting here! I can't wait to start digging into all that documentation! :D

Howdy all,

My name is Jeff Thompson and I'm the Studio Director of Programmers over at Volition. I just wanted to take a moment to say hi, and that there are a lot of people at Volition excited to be able to embrace the modding community more. I'm currently getting a group of people together to start getting information put together for everyone. This will be something of a 'spare' time effort (a lot of people are busy with a certain game we'll be shipping soon. :) ).

We are going to start by focussing on getting information for SR3 available. (Don't worry we won't forget SR2 as well!) To start with I'm planning on getting out a public set of LUA documentation, and getting a bunch of people on gathering information on systems and making that public. This will include file formats, etc. I'd like us to create a growing list of articles that discusses the systems (or features of the systems) to help you all make more mods for them. All of this will be made public through a site we'll be setting up soon. As we make this available, we'll be looking to these forums for feedback on the articles, questions, etc.

As we get to know each other and move forward with that, we'll also be looking at what makes sense for SR4 and also for the future beyond that. Unfortunately, our current games aren't extremely friendly to modding and have fairly complex backend systems for development. That might make some things harder to do than anyone would like, but I expect we'll still accomplish quite a lot.

Cheers!

Jeff
I can't wait to see this. :)

Back