The Freezer (Glitch)

A well known yet still very mysterious glitch lies within Saints Row 2. It goes by the online name "The Freezer." According to many users, myself included. Believe that it can break copies of Saints Row 2. It is worth noting that it only seems to occur in the Xbox 360 version of the game from what I've heard. If you don't know, the glitch can be triggered when you escape Zombie Uprising. To do this you fall through the map (old stilwater) to enter the above ground non-zombie zone. After this the following events may occur. Over sized objects, interiors becoming invisible, and the sky becoming very bright, and of course the Freezer itself. The real mystery lies within, "What IS the Freezer?" Is it a glitched npc stuck in a wall that looks like a shadow? A bug that was never patched out? A failsafe to keep players from escaping Zombie Uprising? As it stands, we don't know. All we can figure is that it's not safe to escape Zombie Uprising because of it. Due to the rumored game breaking it can do. Overall my real question is. What is it? Here's a video that goes into some detail of it.

As far as I know it mostly happens on the Xbox 360 version of the game. There could be a possibility that it can happen on the PC version as it was ported from the Xbox 360 version.

As far as I know it mostly happens on the Xbox 360 version of the game. There could be a possibility that it can happen on the PC version as it was ported from the Xbox 360 version.
Im thinking that the xbox version is a different patch build than what was released with the ps3 and pc version. Also maybe the game has to be the physical copy. Since digital Xbox 360 copies don't seem to work either. So maybe the disc version of SR2 PC will work. Sadly I cant test it since my copy of SR2 xbox is destroyed because I played it so much it just, gave way. But I can test PC.

Attachments

• 170530_0014.jpg
    170530_0014.jpg
    374.5 KB · Views: 2,973
A glitch that damages the disc? That seems... unlikely. More like his save data has a bad value in it, or something. In order to damage the disc, the console would have to support commands that ram the laser lens into the disc for some reason (damaging the drive as well as the disc), and I don't see Microsoft leaving-- (now remembering the infamous rate of console failures) wait, okay, let me rephrase that: I don't see a well designed system allowing anything remotely like that. Hell, whoever supplied the DVD drive wouldn't even have that capability in its firmware.

As for the nature of "the freezer", my guess is that it's trying to display a resource (model, texture, etc) that doesn't exist or was unloaded due to the change in game mode. I don't know of a way to explore that without some logging or a debugger, though.

Last edited:
A glitch that damages the disc? That seems... unlikely. More like his save data has a bad value in it, or something. In order to damage the disc, the console would have to support commands that ram the laser lens into the disc for some reason (damaging the drive as well as the disc), and I don't see Microsoft leaving-- (now remembering the infamous rate of console failures) wait, okay, let me rephrase that: I don't see a well designed system allowing anything remotely like that. Hell, whoever supplied the DVD drive wouldn't even have that capability in its firmware.

As for the nature of "the freezer", my guess is that it's trying to display a resource (model, texture, etc) that doesn't exist or was unloaded due to the change in game mode. I don't know of a way to explore that without some logging or a debugger, though.

I agree that the disc may not be harmed, save data could be a factor.

Back