Save game gone

I start my computer up today deciding I'd like to play some games for the first time in 2+ weeks and what do I get when I open Saints Row IV? My saved game is gone. I verified my game cache and it's still not their, any ideas why? This sucks.

I start my computer up today deciding I'd like to play some games for the first time in 2+ weeks and what do I get when I open Saints Row IV? My saved game is gone. I verified my game cache and it's still not their, any ideas why? This sucks.

Have you tried restarting Steam? Sometimes the cloud sync doesn't work right. Personally, I turn off cloud storage off completely since it can cause problems like the one you're having.

I restarted Steam and my game save is there. I didn't think of doing that because I had just turned my computer on/opened Steam. Much appreciated.

If I turned off cloud storage to perhaps prevent this in the future, what exactly does cloud storage do and what would turning it off do?

Cloud storage just keeps your save file in an external location, in this case, Steam's servers. Cloud storage allots you a certain amount of storage space for you to upload saves, photos, and information linked to your account.
Say if your computer were to fry the next day, you could access your game save on another computer because you downloaded it from the cloud sync. In that way, you don't lose any progress.

The reason he wanted you to restart Steam is in the hope that it would redownload the save for you to access from cloud sync. Perhaps it is best that you leave it enabled.

The same thing happened to me when I played CoOp. The game erased my original save and I had accidentally overwritten any chance of getting it back, cloud sync or no cloud sync. That's okay. I'll play the game over with my friend. I love it.

Cloud storage is very buggy and people have lost saves permanently using it. I personally prefer to just back them up myself.

Glad to hear you got it working though, whatever you decide to do in the future with that option.

Thank you for the feedback, I'll keep it in mind while I think about whether or not I want to back it up myself or keep cloud sync enabled.

Back