Saints Row The Third Modding Basics

A batch file is simply a text file with the extension changed from .txt to .bat. In simple terms, you would create a new text file by right clicking in the folder and creating one, renaming it from "New Document.txt" to something like "unpack.bat", right clicking on your shiny new bat file and choosing Edit, then typing in those commands and saving it. You would run it by just double clicking on it afterwards.

EDIT:
You also want to make sure that you set your Windows folder view options to show extensions. You can do this in Control Panel.

Honestly, when you're creating batch files in Windows XP or newer, you should use the .CMD extension instead of .BAT
This ensures you're running the 32 or 64 bit command processor instead of the 16 bit.

Honestly, when you're creating batch files in Windows XP or newer, you should use the .CMD extension instead of .BAT
This ensures you're running the 32 or 64 bit command processor instead of the 16 bit.

I thank you Arglaar for that advice.:cool:
My PC is running windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System and I have been updating .asm files by creating and using the batch file with the .bat extension and it seems to work in most cases but sometimes the updated .asm along with the edited .str2_pc shows no changes in the game to the textures I modified.:(

Could this be because I use a batch file with the .bat extension and it mostly runs in 16 bit ?

Your advice to create batch files using the .cmd extension in Windows XP or newer does make sense and it seems logical that by running it in 32 or 64 bit would also help to ensure a successfully updated .asm file.

Is it basically the same procedure to create a batch file with the .cmd extension as is with the .bat , by just putting .cmd instead of .bat ?

Thanks for your insight on this.;)

Could this be because I use a batch file with the .bat extension and it mostly runs in 16 bit ?
I have no idea. I haven't tried doing this myself.

Your advice to create batch files using the .cmd extension in Windows XP or newer does make sense and it seems logical that by running it in 32 or 64 bit would also help to ensure a successfully updated .asm file.

Is it basically the same procedure to create a batch file with the .cmd extension as is with the .bat , by just putting .cmd instead of .bat ?
Yes.. that's exactly how you do it.

Instead of calling it Filename.bat you would call it Filename.cmd
Just make sure when you're saving it, you set your editor to save it as All file types and not Text File (If you're using notepad, for example) otherwise it will name the file as Filename.cmd.txt

Sure thing.
This may give you a little insight on the subject:
http://stackoverflow.com/questions/148968/windows-batch-files-bat-vs-cmd

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc723564.aspx said:
This behavior reveals a quite subtle feature of Windows NT that is very important. The 16-bit MS-DOS shell (COMMAND.COM) that ships with Windows NT is specially designed for Windows NT. When a command is entered for execution by this shell, it does not actually execute it. Instead, it packages the command text and sends it to a 32-bit CMD.EXE command shell for execution. Because all commands are actually executed by CMD.EXE (the Windows NT command shell), the 16-bit shell inherits all the features and facilities of the full Windows NT shell.
WIndows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 are all NT-based operating systems ;)

Plus:
Mark Zbikowski (MSFT) said:
The differences between .CMD and .BAT as far as CMD.EXE is concerned are:

With extensions enabled, PATH/APPEND/PROMPT/SET/ASSOC in .CMD
files will set ERRORLEVEL regardless of error. .BAT sets ERRORLEVEL
only on errors.

I thank you Arglaar for that advice.:cool:
My PC is running windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Operating System and I have been updating .asm files by creating and using the batch file with the .bat extension and it seems to work in most cases but sometimes the updated .asm along with the edited .str2_pc shows no changes in the game to the textures I modified.:(

Do you have UAC on? You may be running into Vista/7/8's method of allowing apps that expect administrator permissions to run as limited users - VirtualStore. See http://portableapps.com/node/35519 and http://drupal.org/node/1161522

WIndows XP, Vista, 7 and 8 are all NT-based operating systems ;)
Do you have UAC on? You may be running into Vista/7/8's method of allowing apps that expect administrator permissions to run as limited users - VirtualStore. See http://portableapps.com/node/35519 and http://drupal.org/node/1161522

Not sure about UAC, but I am running them as Administrator ( logged on as Administrator ).

Thank you Minimaul for your helpful and informative advice.:D

How do you open the .gpeg files? I've tried all the image editors I know and they all tell me incompatible file type. I've also tried googling it to no avail.

How do you open the .gpeg files? I've tried all the image editors I know and they all tell me incompatible file type. I've also tried googling it to no avail.

You don't. You use the texture tools to convert them into peg files, edit them and convert/pack them back.

Err... I meant you convert them to .png files, edit them, then convert them back. Sorry for any confusion.

Back