"Saint's Row IV has stopped working/Saint's Row IV Inauguration Station has stopped working"

Not sure where else to post this, the Steam forums tell me other folks are having this issue but I can't find any solutions.
I've installed both Saint's Row IV and the Inauguration Station on my husband's laptop, it's an older Asus Republic of Gamers edition running Vista that had no issues with SRTT (until the Humble Bundle screwed up everything). We've not had any issues running any other games on it either. Now, when we try to launch the Inauguration Station we get a popup that says "Saint's Row IV has stopped working" and when we launch SRIV we get "Saint's Row IV Inauguration Station has stopped working". Those aren't backwards by accident by the way, the pop up box names the opposite application instead of the one I attempted to launch. The game/station never even opens. I've verified the cache on both multiple times, deleted the Inauguration Station completely, re-downloaded it, updated his nVidia graphics drivers to the current recommended version and updated DirectX. Next step would be to completely delete SRIV and push over my downloads (which are launching fine BTW) before trying a completely fresh download and install. I'm reluctant to take the last step because he's a truck driver that only has Thursday and Friday off before he has to go out again for 6 days; the download will pretty much eat up half his weekend as well as kill his ability to stream Netflix or play other games on and offline.

This problem seems to be happening to a wide range of people, folks with high end gaming systems running Windows 8 as well as people running lower end machines like my husbands. Any information about what could be causing this issue, whether a fix is in the works, any suggestions for other things we can try would be very welcome.

I have been having that exact issue with my high end PC.
I had to lower my graphic settings, which got me pretty far, but eventually I started crashing again.

Can you go to "Computer Management" (right click on "Computer" in start Menu, choose "Manage") and look for the crash in the event viewer for SR4, and post the contents of the dialog box? I've shown an example from one of my few crashes, and circled what should be pasted (click within, ctrl-a, ctrl-c, the paste here).

Not sure if it will help Volition at all, but it might give an idea. For example, in mine, we can see SR4 is crashing from a Memory Access Violation (As for my crash, I think there is an issue related to alt-tabbing out of the game full screen, which causes it to crash later on (usually in the middle of a mission), but I'm speculating here)

Attachments

• eventviewer_srmods_sr4crash.png
    eventviewer_srmods_sr4crash.png
    221.6 KB · Views: 3,572
Sure thing. Here's the dialog for SRIV-
Faulting application SaintsRowIV.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x520bf117, faulting module d3d11.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000135, fault offset 0x0006ecfb, process id 0x103c, application start time 0x01ce9f443843beb8.

And the Inauguration Station-
Faulting application SaintsRowIV_InaugurationStation.exe, version 1.0.0.1, time stamp 0x51ffd715, faulting module d3d11.dll, version 6.0.6001.18000, time stamp 0x4791a783, exception code 0xc0000135, fault offset 0x0006ecfb, process id 0x9b8, application start time 0x01ce9f443c7b74f8.

It looks that it is all about DirectX. If you were running SR:TT on DirectX 9, I see the problem. You probably have DirectX 10.1 installed. Do you have Service Pack 2 and DirectX 11 installed? I had the same problem with Vista :p

EDIT: If you don't know what DX you've got installed, run dxdiag.exe

The d3d11.dll failing implies your graphics driver. This happened to me when I updated from nVidia's July Beta to their 8/20 Beta. When I rolled back, all was well again.

I have the same Event Viewer error as you, zefie. Any idea what's causing it? I keep crashing right at the end of rescuing Matt Miller in the real world (Zero Cool)

I have the same Event Viewer error as you, zefie. Any idea what's causing it? I keep crashing right at the end of rescuing Matt Miller in the real world (Zero Cool)

Not sure. I never had it in that mission. I'm pretty sure it is related to alt-tabbing out of fullscreen at any point in the execution. Which is why when it crashed in the final mission (grr!), I made sure not to alt-tab out, and I had no problems.

Not sure. I never had it in that mission. I'm pretty sure it is related to alt-tabbing out of fullscreen at any point in the execution. Which is why when it crashed in the final mission (grr!), I made sure not to alt-tab out, and I had no problems.

I have tried just about everything, and it's driving me insane. Can't progress past that quest, and I have to redo it every time I crash. Compatibility mode, driver updates, the whole nine yards. Don't think I've been alt-tabbing either.

I have tried just about everything, and it's driving me insane. Can't progress past that quest, and I have to redo it every time I crash. Compatibility mode, driver updates, the whole nine yards. Don't think I've been alt-tabbing either.

Wish I could help, but my crashes haven't been reproducible like that. Are you sure the error is the same as mine? Faulting module SaintsRowIV.exe? Copy and paste it please.

Back