SPOILERS Saints Row (2022) official info

We need to see proper gameplay and customization ASAP
They're probably saving the good stuff for closer to the game's release, which is a shame, since by then most of their fan base will have given up hope and moved on.

Also, I've got nothing against Bryce Charles, she's probably a really good actress/voice actress, but they seem to be hyping up her specifically, by having her do the intros to these "gameplay" trailers.

Unless I get really bored and want to try out every single voice for the Boss, just for funzies, there's a chance I'll never even hear her voice throughout the entire game. The same probably goes for many other players out there who already have their character planned out for their playthrough.

I'm not saying that nobody will use her voice, it may turn out to be the most popular voice out of the 8 available, but it just seems strange that she's the only one we've seen actually advertising the game. She was at Gamescom, and she hosted the first "gameplay" trailer.

Are we going to see any of the other voices of the Boss hosting these trailers? Or is Volition trying to tell us that her voice is the Boss we should be playing as?

Last edited:
Does anyone know what the overall tone is going to be? Is it going to be more serious like SR and SR2, or is it going for the over the top silliness of SR3 and 4? I'm not sure if it matters. I'm looking forward to this either way.

It's good to see character customization making a comeback. I'm also looking forward to a return to realism. Something about having superpowers in a Volition game means you have to absolutely crank up the difficulty.

I'm a bit concerned about it being a reboot. I know it's necessary. Where can you go after you've been to space, AND hell, and after you blew up the earth? So, continuation was out. But... Without Stilwater or Steelport, will this be a prequel, or just a whole new crew? How much will they have in common with the Saints that we are familiar with from the other games?

Does anyone know what the overall tone is going to be? Is it going to be more serious like SR and SR2, or is it going for the over the top silliness of SR3 and 4? I'm not sure if it matters. I'm looking forward to this either way.

It's good to see character customization making a comeback. I'm also looking forward to a return to realism. Something about having superpowers in a Volition game means you have to absolutely crank up the difficulty.

I'm a bit concerned about it being a reboot. I know it's necessary. Where can you go after you've been to space, AND hell, and after you blew up the earth? So, continuation was out. But... Without Stilwater or Steelport, will this be a prequel, or just a whole new crew? How much will they have in common with the Saints that we are familiar with from the other games?
It is said to be between SR2 and SR3 tone wise

I don't know if this game has mission replay, but even if it does, I don't think it will work.

It seems like every choice you make, every action you take, anything you do in the open world will have some form of impact on the story.

Essentially, the entire journey through the game is the story.

@rob_zhe I'm so glad someone else made this point, I've expressed it before that I was hugely let down with the Third Remaster because the new lighting and skin textures look incredibly bad and uncanny, especially on The Boss, who looks super unnatural and not nearly as appealing.

It's very hard for to describe as a consumer, but I had the same experience with Saints Row 4, although it technically had the same graphics as 3, the changes they made to lighting and the smoother anti aliasing made the boss look a lot better. I was able to make a character I liked a lot easier in that game than other other Saints Row title. I wish I could verbalize or figure out what exactly about the lighting made characters look better in that game.

I have the same issue with the majority of recent triple A titles where it feels like the environments often look great, but character models look utterly terrible. Like the attempts to make characters look more "realistic" has made them look like they are made out of oily sandpaper or plastic, and the washed out lighting makes them look super unappealing. Netherealm, Ubisoft, EA, Sony, so many companies have this issue for me.

The trend towards attempts at hyper-realism are one of the worst things that have happened to games artistically in recent generations in my opinion, which is why I'm happy that the new Saints Row is capturing the slightly stylized (but still authentic) artstyle. I strongly disagree with anyone who makes trite comments about it "looking like Fortnite" (Barring the Neon Helmet and Marvel esque nothing matters I must make a quip attitude, which I agree is terrible).

I would honestly prefer games look closer to Fortnite than the awful artstyles they have for characters most of the time, but there is a huge difference between slight stylization, which has been a staple of hundreds of video games, especially in older generations, like Metal Gear, Saints Row 1/2, Dragon Age Origins, Deus Ex, basically a tonne of good games you can think of, artistically beautiful games like Okami and Wind Waker, gross looking hyper-realism, and Fortnite, which honestly has a super bland aesthetic that reminds me of CalArts, where everything must be uniform and lacking in contrast or style.

I also noticed people on social media bringing up that they are already censoring the fictional brands in the game world already, which sets a super bad precedent in my eyes. I'm pretty ambivalent about the edgy jokes, but removing a franchises identity and sterilizing it of anything that makes the world unique in a game for adults is asking for backlash.

Last edited:
Cgi trailer looks like shit.
I was truly disappointed.
Then, I saw some of the gameplay and devs spoke a bit about mechanics and they also said it will be something between sr2 and srtt.
Now I'm truly hyped and I can't wait to get my hands on this game♪(┌・。・)┌

Not only will cribs make a return, but you can buy empty lots and decide what kind of business to put down, and it will apparently have effects on the neighborhood. I'd imagine you can upgrade as well.

I heard that SOCKS will make a return, and though devs have not directly responded to questions, some people have theorized that the return of socks COULD potentially mean the return of layered clothing like in SR 2. The devs have said that character customization will be beyond anything we've had before.

In Santo Ileso, there will be three gangs:
Los Panteros (which sounds more like a typical street gang).
The Idols (which I kind of imagine like activists a la watch dogs)
Marshall (paramilitary)

The three new Saints are:
Neenah (who used to be a mechanic for Los Panteros)
Kevin (who used to be with The Idols, hence the cat helmet)
Eli (who used to work for Marshall.

Frankly, I think that sounds pretty cool!

Yeah, I was disappointed, watching the trailer, that the new Saints aren't like how I might have originally imagined ... but, you know, I'm over 50. I see things that were in movies, books and games a long time ago that we didn't even think about at the time, but today just would be an embarrassment.

My personal feeling is that there could be two reasons why the new Saints aren't a stereotypical street gang.

One, maybe the devs kinda feel that a stereotypical street gang would be a stereotype, that maybe without meaning to, they'd be portraying people in a way that they might look back on later and realize was kind of ignorant. First rule of writing is "write what you know". If I'm a middle-class kid from a suburban white-collar family, I might have kind of a narrow view of people who are not from the life I've experienced. Maybe they're trying to avoid that.

Second, maybe they just feel "been there, done that". They already did street gangs in SR2. Maybe they wanted to explore something different.

Who knows?

^ I think the last point is exactly it. They've already done the 'stereotypical street gangsta' thing with SR1 and SR2. They did the 'celebrity gangsta empire' in SRTT. They want to try something new, something different and I can get that. I'm playing the first Saints Row right now and honestly, I'm cool with SR: 2022 not being a rehash of the general theme of the OG Sants Row. I'm already playing that game.

If there's anything they're screwing up, it's not releasing more footages of gameplay, activities, and customizations so we can get hyped. Really, whoever is in charge of marketing needs to either step down or get with the program immediately because honestly, as excited as I am about the game, I'm afraid for the company because I don't want them to tank. This could be their do-or-die game. They need to give it their all.

Back