Saints Row 2 Saints Row 2 Mega Patch is coming... I hope

I hope that the depth of field can be made effective not only in cut scenes but also in games.
And also hope it will be changed to a general Ring DOF.

bruh I just hope the game won't have weird glowing pitch black textures that can be seen through fog and volumetrics etc

Hi there! At first, I'd like to express my clear understanding that this patch is up to fix technical issues that followed Saints Row 2 for almost 11 years. It's some sort of a remaster which is made for free, by one or two Volition members and no additional content should be expected.
However, I'd like to express some personal ideas for the patch. I don't know if they find a sympathy for you, of course I'm not demanding anything, so here's only some things to offer:
0) SDK. If these ideas I'm going to tell won't be good, SDK would be a best way for the community to make Saints Row 2 the best game it can be.
1) Making day (twenty-four hours) in two or three times longer than now. As can I see, one in-game minute counts like one real second, and telling the truth this is not enough. Some players prefer calm way of exploring Stilwater (without running, but walking) and sometimes it kills the immersion when you spend all the day simply for walking through some simple street.
2) Making fine aim more dynamic, like in The Third. By now you can only switch this mode between "on" and "off", but it would be nice if you could simply hold a button to keep it activated and release it to deactivate it.
3) Special button for activating idles. Not too many players have ever seen these idles, but it's no secret that they are very immersive. So it would be perfect if, for example, pressing action button without any on-screen message or vehicle nearby activated the most fitting idle animation.
4) Enterable trains. Another good thing for immersion.
5) More effects from food besides restoring health. This red indicator restores by itself and it makes food not very useful, but I think that eaten sandwich can serve as some extra health and extra stamina for a while. Plus, drunk state can activate some new animations.
Even if these ideas won't find a support from your side or this is something you aren't planning to do, I am thankful to you for remastering one of the best games ever created!

Idol said they only want to add fixes and new stuff, not rework existing things to keep it closer to the original but with better performance and more content

The main reason I can assume this patch will be Steam exclusive is as a "TAKE THAT!" to CD Project Red (the owners of GOG)

I hope they add more new content as a consolidation prize for the PC's original port, just some cheap stuff like returning SR1 vehicles (Aqua, Venom, Cavallaro, Fer De Lance, etc) and weapons (SKR-7, AS12) though I'm assuming that would fall under "out of scope" though it would be nice to have the former as a modder's resource (models, textures, etc) since we already have all the art (and to an extent sound) assets for the SR1 weapons in SR2.

The main reason I can assume this patch will be Steam exclusive is as a "TAKE THAT!" to CD Project Red (the owners of GOG)

I hope they add more new content as a consolidation prize for the PC's original port, just some cheap stuff like returning SR1 vehicles (Aqua, Venom, Cavallaro, Fer De Lance, etc) and weapons (SKR-7, AS12) though I'm assuming that would fall under "out of scope" though it would be nice to have the former as a modder's resource (models, textures, etc) since we already have all the art (and to an extent sound) assets for the SR1 weapons in SR2.
It's Steam-Only because it's going to use Steam to make the multiplayer possible. Before it used Gamespy, but Gamespy is long since defunct so now people will connect together via steam, so you'll be playing with your Steam friends. They state this in the OP.
It's got nothing to do with CD Projekt Red or GOG, it's just the only way they can do it without spending loads of money to host multiplayer servers for one 11 year old game. You wouldn't complain that 360 users can't play with PC ones, would you?
The fix isn't going to add stuff that would be considered more akin to a community mod. It's being made so that a version of the game of comparable quality (if not better) to the console versions is available on PC. As the OP states, the fix will include bug fixes and so on, which means the game will run a hell of a lot better, the audio won't sound like arse, and it won't crash every 5 minutes. Plus it has the DLC so you can finally experience the loose thread of the Dex storyline at 4k, 60fps with optional nude mods.

Back