Saints Row 2: Extracting and Replacing audio

the towav tool is a virus according to windows 10, and a nasty one at that
edit: it was a false positive it works like a charm

Last edited:
It is a great tutorial for extracting music from the game, thank you.
But does anyone know how to extract the voices of the main characters?
I bet they are packed into a file titled 'voice_pc', but this file has no .vpp_pc extension and the tools presented here are inapplicable.
Can anyone help please?

dont mean to bump an old thread but this is something im interested in, however i get this error.
upload_2018-5-24_23-6-14.png

edit fixed it with running audconsole3

It is a great tutorial for extracting music from the game, thank you.
But does anyone know how to extract the voices of the main characters?
I bet they are packed into a file titled 'voice_pc', but this file has no .vpp_pc extension and the tools presented here are inapplicable.
Can anyone help please?
Nevermind, figured it out. Voices of the main characters are packed in SR2_VOC_SP.xwb file, which you can get from music4.vpp_pc package.

Attempted to mod my weapon sounds. Mysteriously, all my weapon sounds went dead silent. Any clues as to what went wrong? Using audacity as my wav editor, and I saved the wav's as 16bit aswell.

Has anyone ever tried adding separate music to a radio station?
I can extract the xwb but when they come as wavs, there's alot of numbered ones which is confusing...

I believe I've figured out what's up with the Saints Row 2 PC audio. Since they're mastered in 'CD Quality' I was playing around and found a spec called ISO-908 De-emphasis. I used SoX to apply it to the cutscenes, and the output was *much* closer to the expected console audio. Unfortunately the base files I used were from the Linux version of the PC port, so the quality is still a bit subpar overall even if it's still way better, and many files are corrupted, but it's a starting point. I'm gonna keep working on this over the weekend and see what I can accomplish. I'll post a video later if anyone's interested.

EDIT: Some more explanation. The reason I brought up CD mastering is that some CDs up-EQ'd the treble (pre-emphasis) to try and compensate for the 44.1kHz quality and add some extra resolution. A lot of audio players are designed to recognize this and down-EQ the output back to the expected level, but it appears the audio player used by Saints Row 2 does not. It may be better for the overall sound quality to try and implement the spec in the player than to convert all of the audio, but since I don't believe I can do the former I'll focus on the latter.

This information may also be useful to the port team, assuming they haven't yet figured out what's wrong with the audio and assuming that's even still happening.

Last edited:
Back