Retexturing Saints Row IV, For Dummies

So Idk, I guess I'll share how I did it,
I figured out to keep the textures to the DDS (DXT1 or DXT5) the same,
I've figured that in terms of mods, always have it target it's own Asm to update at least the first time.
I ran two and so far both work (packing before packing up the mod itself) seems to run fine, leave it ticked to update it then put it in mods and overwrite the older mod in mods folder.
in the case of tattoos, I've discovered that once complete it would have to replace (While keeping a backup) of Customize_Player.pp-etc.
Trust me after getting close with version V I decided I had enough of trying to mangle with this. and only
scrap_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiuwq-fullview.jpg

starting here
20200505173713_1_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiv1t-fullview.jpg
20200505185231_1_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiv79-fullview.jpg
then finally
finally_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwivd1-fullview.jpg

I've done so many trials and errors I'd almost consider writing a tutorial on this.

So Idk, I guess I'll share how I did it,
I figured out to keep the textures to the DDS (DXT1 or DXT5) the same,
I've figured that in terms of mods, always have it target it's own Asm to update at least the first time.
I ran two and so far both work (packing before packing up the mod itself) seems to run fine, leave it ticked to update it then put it in mods and overwrite the older mod in mods folder.
in the case of tattoos, I've discovered that once complete it would have to replace (While keeping a backup) of Customize_Player.pp-etc.
Trust me after getting close with version V I decided I had enough of trying to mangle with this. and only
scrap_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiuwq-fullview.jpg

starting here
20200505173713_1_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiv1t-fullview.jpg
20200505185231_1_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwiv79-fullview.jpg
then finally
finally_by_glaivecoeurl_ddwivd1-fullview.jpg

I've done so many trials and errors I'd almost consider writing a tutorial on this.
Please check this tutorial: https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/editing-saving-and-packing-textures.18063/

Are there some sort of special steps if trying this on an item added by a mod?
I'm trying to set part of a mod outfit to transparent but doing this method I either have the game crash when loading that item or it just show up invisible.

Issue seems to be at the "Update asm_pc file" part as the mod outfit does no exist in the one in my game directory and the one I unpacked from the mod causes crashes when I replace the one in my directory with it.

Sometimes it's impossible to change opaque material to transparent by simply editing it in paintnet or gimp. What item are you trying to edit?

The Super Shandi outfit for player

I was able to do a quick transparency edit on another base game top though.

Back