Red Faction Guerilla

I came across this site while searching for <Static_Load_Friction>, and getting this hit on Google:

https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum...s-and-vtols-v1-01-adds-missed-vtols.99/page-2

I think it's likely that most of this knowledge will help modding Saint's Row, given the tag similarities:

This Mod is primarily for the ATV. I haven't tested much with other vehicles. The idea was to make an offroad / 'rally car' out of her, so very high speed, with great handling, and climbing ability.

<Extra_Gravity>
<Lift_Coefficient>
<Static_Load_Friction>

<Force_assist>

I'm trying to understand these parameters for climbing slopes. In order to increase off-road ability currently I've adjusted almost every configurable aspect of the vehicle (Min_ATV_MGx), just the wheels, for instance:

</Wheel_Friction>
</Wheel_Engine_Torque>
</Wheel_Mass>
</Wheel_Damp_Comp>
</Wheel_Damp_Exp>
</Wheel_Spring_Strength>
</Wheel_Spring_Pow>
</Wheel_Braking_Torque>

As well as front / rear balance for controllability at high speed. I don't want to give away too much; it's better to be surprised. Suffice it to say I love her, and she can leap over mountains.

I have disabled most of the aerodynamics to simplify testing. The most interesting value may be <Force_assist>, which I haven't had time to play with. The biggest hurdle is increasing traction (friction) while climbing at severe angles, while keeping the wheels planted (without shoving off the mountain). So far the mod 'feels' ridiculously capable, while somewhat realistic. I think I might be able to have a mode that is just based on Force_assist though. The complexity is getting to be a bit much, so I would like your guys take on any of this.

Extra_Gravity, Lift_Coefficient, and Static_Load_Friction I haven't had any luck with for controllability, or climbability.

Turrets:

In order to get the thermobaric launcher attached as a vehicle turret I had to increase the start speed of the projectile tremendously (or use the debug turret, which isn't as pretty), and then set the projectile max speed much lower so that when Havok evaluates the next physics frame it drops to a realistic speed. This lets the projectile 'tunnel' through the body of the vehicle:

<Start_Speed>100000</Start_Speed>
<Max_Speed>200</Max_Speed>

I had to keep the Max_Speed high enough that the projectile won't collide with the vehicle, while traveling. (120 mph Havok physics engine limit). The thermobaric launcher seems to 'jump up' ~.1 meters? when firing, but it seems to be the tunnel effect that allows the rocket to not hit the vehicle it's fired from.

I'm having trouble finding how often Havok evaluates frames for physics collisions. It seems like either 30, or 60 frames per second depending on version. Is this configurable?

What version of Havok does RFG use, so I can try to find more documentation? So far I have just gone off the notes in the xml (xtbl) files. Any documentation you guys have beyond that would be greatly appreciated.

I haven't been able to completely fix the RPG as a turret yet. If I use the 'tunneling' workaround the rockets just fly straight (upwards). It appears they drop down at an angle after <Time_Until_Propelled>, but only if the start speed isn't that high (high enough to tunnel through the vehicle). The angle doesn't seem to be configurable though. I have debated just switching to one of the debug style launchers (that sits higher on it), but I like the burst fire effect, and adding whole new weapons makes the mod 'code base' much more confusing for someone trying to see how it was done.

<Time_Until_Propelled>100</Time_Until_Propelled>
<Time_Until_Prop_Expire>2500.0</Time_Until_Prop_Expire>
<Time_Until_Drop>3000.0</Time_Until_Drop>

Is there a way to increase the RPG rocket count up from 3, or the Remote Charge count above 12? They seem to use the same logic for the limit.

Flags:

Any backround info on these flags would be awesome:

<Projectile_Flags>
<Flag>rocket flight</Flag>
<Flag>MP IED</Flag>
<Flag>pseudoseek</Flag>
<Flag>air bomb</Flag>
<Flag>use cloud spline</Flag>
</Projectile_Flags>

I don't recall how the original game functions but the Remote Charges seem to adjust their course slightly, in order to stick to people. When I set that flag for other objects (propane_tank) it didn't do that. I would love to have the propane tank knock somebody in the head automagically.

'cloud spline', 'air bomb', and 'MP IED' I don't get at all.

I think I know the answer to this, but I have to ask: Is there anyway to lift the 120 mph Havoc physics engine limit? I have the ATV going as fast as possible, while being controllable. I want to add a few different 'modes' for the ATV, that this could help with.

Tracking vs stationary:

The turrets seem to have 3 attachment points:

<TurretBase> (Item Only)
<TurretMiddle> (Both Item, and Vehicle Component)
<TurretTop> (Vehicle Component Only)

<Element>
<Name>Item</Name>
<Type>Reference</Type>
<Description>Reference to an item.</Description>
<Required>false</Required>
<Reference>
<File>items_3d.xtbl</File>
<Type>Item.Name</Type>
<OpenSeparate>False</OpenSeparate>
</Reference>
</Element>

<Element>
<Name>Component</Name>
<Type>String</Type>
<Display_Name>Vehicle Component</Display_Name>
<Description>Reference to a vehicle component.</Description>
<Required>false</Required>
</Element>
<Element>

With some of these the turret wouldn't stay attached to the vehicle. For the combinations of Items / Components that would stay attached I could either choose a stationary turret, or one that would track enemies (but generally wouldn't auto level back to it's starting point.) The biggest issue with the auto tracking turrets is that flipping over, moves them, and they don't re-center. I was able to get one to swing around, on it's own, while driving, but it didn't track, and I couldn't control it. Given that it isn't a 'manned' turret, is there anyway on the ATV to get the turret to be manually aim-able (track the camera)? The 'ring' in some turret names makes think it's possible, even without having a tank body (mesh / rig?):

turret_vehicle_ring_gauss

I haven't been able to find the 'component' names that are a part of the defined vehicle for instance (no way to read the files). I have been able to drive around with the Tharsis gun attached to the car. It doesn't seem to fire a projectile though.

Most of the turrets (turrets.xtbl) don't have all 3 attachment points defined: <TurretBase> <TurretMiddle> <TurretTop>

These attachment points have the most success:

<Item>g_turret_middle</Item>
<Item>g_turret_base</Item>
<Item>turret_middle_1</Item>
<Item>turret_base_1</Item>
<Item>artillery_middle</Item>
<Item>artillery_base</Item>

Attaching these turrets would keep the vehicle from spawning:

turret_mass_driver
turret_missile_array
turret_machinegun_locked
turretX_flamethrower

I would love to get the flamethrower working, and I don't know where in game the missile array is, but it sounds awesome.

Wishlist:

Spawning a vehicle on demand, or changing variables from the console? So far I have 5 iterations of the Min_ATV_MGx. I added 2, so that I can test a different one per safe house. Badlands won'd always spawn modded vehicles though.

Is it possible to make the EDF use walkers in convoys for instance? I need to make these spawn more often, and would love to add flyers to convoys, or as support (more than 1 at a time). Even as the game progresses I think it would be delightful to have the EDF roll out in force from time to time, somewhat randomly.

Tactics for the EDF? Where are these stored, and can I edit them without propietary tools? I would love to have flyers congregate on one side of valley, just out of range, and wait for backup before engaging, or tell the EDF how to use walkers for instance. I also haven't ever seen the Gauss Flyer spawn in game?

Getting the Power Core Explosion (at least the art) to something other than a stationary structure. The two effects seem to require a building collapse ('death' / 'dth' in effects.xtbl):

dth_power_core_a / dth_power_core_b

linked to?

env_power_core_a / env_power_core_b

<Effect>
<Name>dth_power_core_a</Name>
<visual>dth_power_core_a</visual>
<_Editor>
<Category>Entries:Objects:Death Effects</Category>
</_Editor>
<kill_sound_when_done>False</kill_sound_when_done>
<sound_follows_effect>True</sound_follows_effect>
<vfx_kill_particles>False</vfx_kill_particles>
<stop_when_host_destroyed>False</stop_when_host_destroyed>
<sound>OBJ_POWERCORE_GENERATOR_DTH</sound>
</Effect>

<Effect>
<Name>dth_power_core_a</Name>
<visual>dth_power_core_a</visual>
<_Editor>
<Category>Entries:Objects:Death Effects</Category>
</_Editor>
<sound>OBJ_POWERCORE_GENERATOR_DTH</sound>
</Effect>

<Effect>
<Name>env_power_core_a</Name>
<visual>env_power_core_a</visual>
<_Editor>
<Category>Entries:Environment:Interior</Category>
</_Editor>
<sound>AMB_POWERCORE_GENERATOR_LOOP_01</sound>
</Effect>

<Effect>
<Name>env_power_core_b</Name>
<visual>env_power_core_b</visual>
<vfx_kill_particles>True</vfx_kill_particles>
<stop_when_host_destroyed>True</stop_when_host_destroyed>
<_Editor>
<Category>Entries:Environment:Interior</Category>
</_Editor>
<sound>AMB_POWERCORE_GENERATOR_LOOP_01</sound>
</Effect>

Making the towers destructable? (EoS)
Making the invisible barriers destructable, or deleting them entirely? Falling off the edge of map would be fine, if it happens. They get in the way too often with this mod.
It seems there is a good deal of the map that is explorable (based on distance viewing, and the minimap). The ATV can actually go there now, so I would love to turn this off.
Allowing Singularity Bombs to be stored. So far, as a workaround I have 'replaced' the Proxy Mines with Singularity Bombs. I still need them on my person in the save game, before loading the Mod to use them, and I would love to turn off the 'never in cabinet' permanently. It doesn't seem to overwrite that flag by commenting it out, and it also seems to be enforced somewhere else in the engine, as the proxy replacement sometimes exhibits the same behavior; being 'skipped over' even though the cabinet is storing it.

Storing multiples of the same object type in the weapons locker? I want to have a few different types of mines loaded simultaneously (re-using the proxy for other things), and my save game occasionaly trips up with multiples of edited objects. It seems to allow it if I increment the 'Unique_ID' field in a new weapon though. For 'release' having one weapon per mode is acceptable, but I think my save game (for testing) is hosed.

Spawning random EDF throughout the game.

Spawning Convoys / flyers on demand.

Auto-rebuilding?
What controls the EDF logic for the base being demolished? I think either having EDF show up again (at least at bases), or rebuild their own bases over time would be spectacular. The mod needs more targets.

Any tools that you guys could give us, would be awesome. I know for myself I bought a second copy of the game, when it came to steam. I am hitting some limits with how much time I can spend reading text files, so any guidance here is appreciated. Even reading the names of attachment points, or mesh points escapes me at the moment, since I can't open the files.

There are a few different mods I want to create for this game. The first one is here:

https://www.factionfiles.com/ff.php?action=file&id=517566

My favorite is the 'Super Cutter' Charge with Transformer explosion art. It can take out the whole side of a building...

Back