Recursive package extractor

Uhh. I have a bit of a problem. I run the program and it works for a few seconds, the black and white text appears, but straight
after this it gives me an error message and shuts it down. What have I done wrong?

Can you create an alternative to extracting 40 gigs worth of data? I'd like to extract the vehicles folder!!
Use original gibbed tools to extract data individualy: http://svn.gib.me/builds/volition/
Uhh. I have a bit of a problem. I run the program and it works for a few seconds, the black and white text appears, but straight after this it gives me an error message and shuts it down. What have I done wrong?
The error message itself will be helpful, but probably you either don't have NET framework v.4 installed, or your SR:TT not installed into your steam folder. Use tools I linked above to unpack needed files manually and don't forget about NET framework.

They are command-line tools, so you need to use a command line to, uh, use them. In some situations, like the pack and unpack tools, you can drag a file or folder onto them in explorer.

By the way, it looks like PackVPP is not working. It makes a vpp_pc file, but the game crashes.

Referring to my previous post: we've confirmed with Volition that the only versions of Saints Row: The Third that are legitimately available require Steam - so I won't be changing how this unpacker locates game files.

I'll admit the tool is a quick and handy way to dump most stuff out over having to go and do it one by one.. but I kinda wish it'd automatically convert asms and vdocs too so I didn't have to do it manually.
That and I'd rather it have had a way to define an output path.. I ran it, it started chunking, and then I realized it was already busy working so I had to panic uninstall a game because my HD (already running near full) was rapidly running out of room. My fault, but the long long copying process of transferring the files to the other drive did take a bit.

It did automate some the stuff that'd have taken forever, so thanks for that!

(I also am kinda reassured I didn't do something wrong when trying to make a repacked vpp and that it's likely a tool issue.. although it could also be there's a size check for packages somewhere that's failing the game when it's not updated to match a new filesize...)

it unpacks to where you run it from, so just copy the .exe elsewhere

I realize this thread has been inactive for a year, but just wanted to give a tip, in case some other people might find it useful. Especially for when the volition SDK comes out.

I wanted to recursively unpack just two .vpp_pc files, and after having read this thread, I came to the conclusion that this recursive extractor must simply extract everything it finds in the:
steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\packfiles\pc\cache folder. So, I let the two pack files I wanted extracted, in the cache, and moved all the other pack files to another folder, temporarily. Worked like a charm.

I realize this thread has been inactive for a year, but just wanted to give a tip, in case some other people might find it useful. Especially for when the volition SDK comes out.

I wanted to recursively unpack just two .vpp_pc files, and after having read this thread, I came to the conclusion that this recursive extractor must simply extract everything it finds in the:
steam\steamapps\common\saints row the third\packfiles\pc\cache folder. So, I let the two pack files I wanted extracted, in the cache, and moved all the other pack files to another folder, temporarily. Worked like a charm.

Or you could specify a path as a parameter to whatever folder you want and just put copies of the selected vpps there.

Back