Powertool and random slowdowns (actually dynamic lighting)

Hi !

First of all : thank you for great work Idol Ninja.

I've got a really strange problem that I never seen before. I recently reinstall SR2 to play alone and with friends. I'm on win7 and tried to use the powertool in beta. Yes, the one which configure alone the speed ratio. It detects my cpu (i7), recognize it and configure alone the speed ratio but it was too slow. That was strange because some months ago, I used it and it was perfect. Well... No problem, I configure it myself and the stopwatch test was perfect (1'43).

But in game, and randomly, I can see that the game will become really slow. It really seems to be random. My framerate still around 40 fps but the game slows down ! I cannot play at all at this speed.

I don't know if there is a link (or not) with the powertool. The only thing that changes is my graphic card. I'm now with a GTX 570 instead of a GTX 260.

I love this game... Hope you can help me.

And sorry for the language. English is not my native language but I hope you understood me at all.

The only thing I can tell you is that I have heard a few others talk about that same issue. Unfortunately, I do not know why it happens or how to fix it at this time. Does it do the same thing using the rev5 build of Powertools?

It doesn't change anything. The "slowdown issue" happened in some blocks only and often during a mission.

Is the powertool modify any files in the game ? Or add some files somewhere ?

I don't understand why it used to work some months ago and not now. I'm gonna re-download the game on steam, install again powertool (only rev.5) and try again.

Powertools doesn't touch any game files. It only creates a symbolic link for the DxFreezerServer.dll when you install it. That's it.

Okay. that was not the powertool but the "Dynamic Light" option of the game. When this option is on "All", I've got the game a low slower in some places. Why ? I don't know. My fps stick to 40-50 but the game is slow. "Ambient Occlusion" seems to make the moves a bit "laggy", I prefer tell that moves are "robot style" : without any fluidity and more like "Heu-heu-heu-I-turned-left". that could explain the "laggy driving" too I think because it's probably the same problem.

I put all my GC options (nvidia control panel) to disable or to lower. I'll try to increase my options step to step to identify if there is something else which slow the game.

Edited the topic to make it clear Powertools wasn't causing the slowdown.

Back