Mission/Cutscene Replay

Inexcusable how this feature was left out of the game. Do The Third some justice, and make a mod that lets us revisit any completed level/view any watched cutscene whenever we want to.

I've only spent a little time looking at how the game makes missions available, and... i really have no idea.

Anyway, it's a bit more complex than that, because missions alter the state of the game world, and presumably, we'd want to restore it at the end.

Do we really want to restore it though? Maybe instead of modding in options for different world states, it would be easier to have the mission changes stick. That way players can simply replay whatever mission they want to get the post mission world the way they want it?

Yyyyy...es, that's a good point... i was assuming that it'd be desirable to have it work the same as in SR2, but now that you mention it, people may want to let them stick. We need to keep an eye on redundant rewards, like the +10% money/respect bonus, and see if they start stacking.

Anyway, simply calling the mission_unlock function alone seems to do nothing much, and i haven't found anything as to how it actually makes the missions available. Combining it with mission_set_next_mission can have interesting effects. But unlike the poster who recommended these in your Permanent Daedalus thread, i didn't get mission 1 working right when i tried it. Game CTD after the opening cutscene. But i'm going to play around a little with the phone menu and those functions, and see what i can see.

Just tried having this code in my sr3_city_main() and the mission played fine up until the point that you take the elevator up to whathisname's office. I spawned on top of the roof, and after 20 seconds my homies were abandoned, failing the mission. So it's not a perfect solution yet.
Code:
sr3_teleport_mission_start("m06", false)
mission_unlock( "m06" )
mission_set_next_mission( "m06" )

I'll bet that the coordinates are okay, but the loaded chunk is different, thus teleporting you to the roof. If the right chunk was loaded that space would correct.

Funny thing is, it's supposed to take you into an interior space, not an exterior one... but there may not actually be a difference, in this game. I wonder if co-op players can see each other through crib windows. So, maybe if the game world is set to its post-m05 state beforehand, it would work.

In case it isn't clear, i don't know shit about how the game works, and i feel a little silly trying to talk about it as such a noob, but i have to start somewhere.

Everybody has to start somewhere and you're further along than I am with playing with mission replay. :)

The way it worked in sr2 was that if you used coordinates that teleported inside an object, then the engine would generally push you outside (up, down, sideways, etc.) Also, some locations would overlap with the world like the arcade interior of the skeeball cutscene with shaundi. That interior loaded only for that cutscene and was unloaded directly after. It was so big that it took up half the street of chinatown. The player never saw this since he was always just inside. I'll bet that many of the unique chunks/zone/world geometry in sr3 behave the same way where they take up a different unique space that overlaps in the world rather than being locked into the size of the actual building.

And yeah, I'll bet if the world was reset to that pre-mission state like you suspect then it might work correctly. If we can figure out what that pre-mission state actually is then we can force it in the start of the actual mission script so it can be replayed at anytime.

Sometimes gibbed makes this look all too easy:

EphEl.jpg

Back