Looking for information to track down the homie cooldown bug

[V] Knobby

Volition Staff
I'm looking at the code trying to figure out what is happening with the homie cooldown to see if we could patch that when we release the patch for the mod stuff. I know it happens, it has happened to me personally, but I don't know HOW it happens. We initially thought it was due to coop jumping around the mission order, but I hear that it isn't related to coop. This brings about the question of what makes it happen?

Do you have to get a homie killed and then save the game and load the save? Do you have to get them killed and then die yourself? The smallest steps to reproduce this issue will go a long way to getting it resolved and who knows better how to do it than you guys? So please, lets all work together and make this thing history.

The two most common complains I've seen have been the Vehicle Delivery and Heli Delivery homies being grayed out. I think it might be related to them never making it, or dieing on the way. i.e. not being properly dismissed.

I'm posting this on multiple forums to try and get more input.

The only one I've encountered is on the gang notoriety call. That never becomes available again until I reload. I only ever really use it after completing a gang operation. I'm sorry I don't have any more info than that. I don't recall anything special happening. What is the normal cool down for it? Maybe I just aren't waiting long enough (though I remember once instance where I played for another 30mins or so and it never became active again).

The only one I've encountered is on the gang notoriety call. That never becomes available again until I reload. I only ever really use it after completing a gang operation. I'm sorry I don't have any more info than that. I don't recall anything special happening. What is the normal cool down for it? Maybe I just aren't waiting long enough (though I remember once instance where I played for another 30mins or so and it never became active again).

This particular bug is a little different. The bug that we are talking about is one where homies never become available ever again, even after saving and reloading the game. (Sorry I misunderstood you on SA regarding it.)

From the PA forums:

Douglas Danger said:
I'm on PS3, but I think Shaundi is permanently grayed-out unavailable in my game after I crashed a jet we were flying. We both survived, because we were just a couple of feet off the ground in hover mode, but the jet landed on her, and I wonder if it counts as my Boss hurting her.

First, a disclaimer: it has been a long time since I last looked into this issue. Here's a summary of what I remember:
We don't know how/when it happens. What I believe we saw in the save files is that homies with a status of 8 (and maybe 7?) never return. In the save file format thread, I was recently informed that these are the statuses:
uint32 status enum(not gained=0, gained, just called, driving up, following, fallen, recovering, client following, hustlin)
So whatever "client following" and "hustlin" are, it seems they may be permanent conditions. That may not always be the case, since I never really looked at the homies outside of when the problem was occurring, but I think we've seen several 8's. One of the people who reported it had a 5, but considering that's "fallen", I suppose maybe he just didn't realize it was taking a while for the homie to respawn.
Here's the original thread on the subject on this forum. There's another thread on the official forum that's partly about that and partly about Shaundi & somebody being unavailable before finishing the last mission.

I know this isn't too much help, but I can confirm it doesn't have anything to do with co-op. My main save has never seen co-op and I currently can't call to get help from anyone of the main characters involved in the last mission what-so-ever. Any way it's flagging them as busy because of the last mission somehow?

Yes, homies.xtbl does mark certain homies unavailable during certain missions, which is independent of this issue. They also appear to be unavailable outside of the missions. Once you have completed (both) final missions, you should have access to them if you are not experiencing this bug. You can also mod your homies.xtbl file not to block them during any missions.

I will have to complete both last missions and see if I'm still effected. I wasn't aware completing both *could* fix the issue firsthand that I'm having. Thank you!

Back