Saints Row: The Third HUD Format

Questions about the SR:TT HUD:

How is the HUD coded in?
Are they sets of PNGs?
Is it crunched into binary data? (Which volution seems to do alot.)
Will we be able to edit the hud(proberbly give it a specific design for each mission) when the toolset is all complete and working?
Are there possibilitys of adding new elements to the HUD(like a speedometer)?

Most of the HUD texture files are in misc.vpp_pc -> interface_backend.cpeg_pc/gpeg_pc.

If you unpack the container you'll get lots of files prefixed with ui_bms. i.e.

ui_bms_00.jpg

These are most of the HUD texture files. Basically it looks like any file that starts with ui_bms is to do with the HUD. I guess ui_bms stands for user interface bitmap sheet. I don't know how the game maps the textures to the bitmap sheet. If I were to take an educated guess I'd say it was something to do with the vint_doc files.

Our interface system is a home-brew thing. It uses textures, lua and a custom file format. This is one of the items we are working on documentation/exposing.

Most of the HUD texture files are in misc.vpp_pc -> interface_backend.cpeg_pc/gpeg_pc.

If you unpack the container you'll get lots of files prefixed with ui_bms. i.e.

ui_bms_00.jpg

These are most of the HUD texture files. Basically it looks like any file that starts with ui_bms is to do with the HUD. I guess ui_bms stands for user interface bitmap sheet. I don't know how the game maps the textures to the bitmap sheet. If I were to take an educated guess I'd say it was something to do with the vint_doc files.
Lets' hope I can come up with a sainty style for the HUD.
I still don't understand the ".tga.DDS" extension when unpacking textures.

Our interface system is a home-brew thing. It uses textures, lua and a custom file format. This is one of the items we are working on documentation/exposing.
Great :D

Lets' hope I can come up with a sainty style for the HUD.
I still don't understand the ".tga.DDS" extension when unpacking textures.

They are dds files but are referenced as tga files by the game files. I guess Volition work with tga files during development and instead of renaming all the references to dds files they stick with the tga extension.

We actually do work with tga files. We use a cruncher to generate the peg/vbm files from a tga. I'm pretty sure this is getting released with the tools, so you will be able to take the easy route as well.

We actually do work with tga files. We use a cruncher to generate the peg/vbm files from a tga. I'm pretty sure this is getting released with the tools, so you will be able to take the easy route as well.
So does that make adding a new element to the HUD out if the question?
Like for example: I want to add a speedometer to the HUD.

Back