FOV Fix

Great mod, but a lil bit too far for me can you make a just far enough to show the boss' whole body? Or tell me how to do it?

I know what you mean here, but for the sake of being pedantic it's worth noting that the camera isn't actually moving closer too or farther from the player character using this mod. What is actually happening is the virtual camera's 'lens' is getting wider, taking in more of the scene while still sititng in the same spot, and of course because more information is being shown on the same sized screen individual elements, like your player character, do appear smaller as the FoV increases. This is a meaningful distinction in several ways such as when the camera needs to move to avoid clipping through a wall, or the like, which would become a bit of a nightmare if the camera were actually being moved further back away from the character.

I know what you mean here, but for the sake of being pedantic it's worth noting that the camera isn't actually moving closer too or farther from the player character using this mod. What is actually happening is the virtual camera's 'lens' is getting wider, taking in more of the scene while still sititng in the same spot, and of course because more information is being shown on the same sized screen individual elements, like your player character, do appear smaller as the FoV increases. This is a meaningful distinction in several ways such as when the camera needs to move to avoid clipping through a wall, or the like, which would become a bit of a nightmare if the camera were actually being moved further back away from the character.
I don't understand. I don't feel like the edges are curved to allow more data on the screen... I feel like the camera is actually farther away.

I don't understand. I don't feel like the edges are curved to allow more data on the screen... I feel like the camera is actually farther away.

In such an open game as this it's hard to get a real fish-eye feeling from the screen, the effect is slight, and likely works quite well with how close you are to the screen, as we're not dealing with huge FoV numbers here.

That you feel like the camera itself is in a different place is not entirely surprising, it is somewhat less than intuitive for most people, especially if they haven't been gaming that long or are just generally new to the concept. One interesting thing to note is that most zoom-in modes in a 3rd person or first person shooter like these Saints Row games are actually not a /zoom/ persay but rather a narrowing of the Feild of View. Just as this mod opens the FoV up and gives you more peripheral vision (and subsequently makes your character look farther away on the screen) narrowing the Field of View definitely makes things feel zoomed in because you're displaying less information on the screen at once, but that lesser information is taking up the same amount of actual screen space, so everything just happens to look bigger and a lot closer - you see this effect every time you aim or zoom in with a weapon in SRIV, and then the FoV increases again to a more normal size once you stop aiming.

I used my setting from SR3, which I had to look up again, and that was just right. Instead of using 75 I changed it to 65. It frames the characters foot right near the bottom of the screen.

This is how it is in the real world, virtual cameras are mostly the same. When you change the field of view it creates a wider viewing angle letting more in but then that changes your focal point so some objects appear to get pushed out a bit.
FOV_Diagram1.jpg

so if I want to remove this I just delete camera_free.xbtl? I don't want to fuck up the camera so im just double checking.

Thanks for updating the SR3 fov mod. Does anyone know how to remove the fov shift when sprinting? I wish I could make the fov 90 in all cases and not change =\

Changing all the FOV values to 90 will mess up the right-click zoom function of your weapons.

Back