Co-op still possible?

Having played SR4, a huge nostalgia grew in me due to numerous things that made me want to play this again, but... with the death of GameSpy a while ago, is it still possible to play this with a friend?

Haven't tried yet and I don't want to make a friend re-download the game for nothing. If anybody knows it'd be great.

Me and my brother played co-op for a bit last week so it is possible, but I think it's LAN only

This might be somewhat recent since I only noticed it within the last week but on every single game forum over on Steam there is a pinned thread stating the following:
Using a Virtual Private Network (VPN) violates the terms of the Steam Subscriber Agreement (SSA) section 3A. If you use a VPN you risk having your account permanently disabled.

As such, any posts promoting the use of VPN to bypass regional restrictions / release dates will be removed.

This might be somewhat recent since I only noticed it within the last week but on every single game forum over on Steam there is a pinned thread stating the following:
As your quote says - it's only using a VPN to bypass regional restrictions and release dates that Valve care about. Using a VPN style service to play with your friends isn't something they have any interest in ;)

This is a bit of confusing legalese.

That first portion in the quote simply states that VPN usage is a violation of the SSA. The second portion is a seperate piece dealing with the removal of forum posts that promote its usage. As such the listed reasons like regional or release date bypassing is written there to express why such posts are potentially promoting behavior that would be in violation. It doesn't in anyway seem to communicate that these are the only reasons VPN usage would be in violation.

In either case, for those that might want to use it I thought it a good idea to check what it actually says in the SSA under 3A:

You agree that you will not use IP proxying or other methods to disguise the place of your residence, whether to circumvent geographical restrictions on game content, to purchase at pricing not applicable to your geography, or for any other purpose. If you do this, we may terminate your access to your Account.

According to that, it seems that VPN usage even for normal (generally speaking moral use of it) is still technically in violation of the SSA and Steam can legitimately terminate an account because of it. To be honest, there is a good chance that its not Steam's intention and this is more a matter of whoever wrote this copy getting lazy and not thinking that phrasing out properly. Then again, if anyone is thinking of using a VPN it might make sense to just doublecheck with someone over at Steam.

Unlike other GameSpy games (like GRAW) I could log-in with my gamespy account in SR2, that's weird. Maybe it does work, but I won't be able to test it for a few days.

This is a bit of confusing legalese.

That first portion in the quote simply states that VPN usage is a violation of the SSA. The second portion is a seperate piece dealing with the removal of forum posts that promote its usage. As such the listed reasons like regional or release date bypassing is written there to express why such posts are potentially promoting behavior that would be in violation. It doesn't in anyway seem to communicate that these are the only reasons VPN usage would be in violation.

etc etc etc etc etc etc etc
Steam never does anything SSA says or whatever, you're taking it very seriously for no reason. You can do much worse things than that and Steam won't care. You're still paying them money, so.

If you google "Steam VPN usage" or something along those lines there are definitely cases out there of people who had their accounts closed. Now whether or not they were using it for ill means or not, its inaccurate to say that Steam never does anything in the SSA. They definitely do.

You obviously don't care and seem to think my posts are irrelevant but keep in mind that others in the future may have the same question as you, come here and be unwilling to use a VPN realizing it is a violation of the SSA. You can do what you want with the info, my intention or "reason" was merely to help.

Back