Close Cinematic TPS Camera Mod

Greetings! This is a simple camera mod I've been working on for the past few days, which may continue to be updated over time. This is technically a heavily modified version of Uzi's version of Better Camera Mod.

To install this mod, place the "camera_free.xtbl" file included in the zipped folder directly to your root game directory (steamapps/common/Saints Row the Third). Load the game, and enjoy :)

Untitled14.png
Untitled11.png

This mod aims at a cinematic-style close-up camera that looks good and feels good during combat and general gameplay. The main values tweaked right now are interior, exterior, and fine aim camera angles. Riot shields have been lightly tweaked and tested, and human shields have not been altered. This may be updated in the near future to create a comprehensive modification of the camera.

This mod will bring your POV lower to the ground, which I think, also gives the city a slightly larger sense of scale. The values in the .xtbl can easily be adjusted if you prefer a more zoomed-out or elevated camera by increasing Z-distance values or Y values of "lookat offset."

*Note" This mod will make your character super blurry if you are playing with depth of field enabled. Not even centering the camera can fix the blur. As a result, all of these images have depth of field disabled.

Here's a video!

Untitled12.png
Untitled13.png
Untitled10.png

Untitled7.png
Untitled2.png

Untitled1.png
Untitled5.png

Attachments

• Untitled9.png
    Untitled9.png
    1.4 MB · Views: 215
  • SRTT Cinema TPS Mod.7z
    7.9 KB · Views: 583
i thought i'd be a cheeky mofo and i changed the values of "lookat offset" like you suggested and i thought that would create a whole new camera angle and it did, but only for when i run outside. then i realized there are probably separate values for when you crouch, when you're inside a building, etc and i was humbled very quickly...

i thought i'd be a cheeky mofo and i changed the values of "lookat offset" like you suggested and i thought that would create a whole new camera angle and it did, but only for when i run outside. then i realized there are probably separate values for when you crouch, when you're inside a building, etc and i was humbled very quickly...
Yes, there are different values for outside standing and crouching, inside standing and crouching, standing/crouch aiming, and sprinting.

Z and Y values appear to work together in some ways. You would think that Y value would only adjust the Y axis of the camera, but it also seems that lowering the Y value can increase the zoom on your character and adjust the Y axis, so you just have to experiment with it. The Z value seems to only affect zoom, though. At least from what I can remember while editing.

exterior close = Outside standing
crouch = outside crouch
sprint = outside sprint
interior close = inside standing
crouch interior = inside crouch
interior sprint = inside sprint
fine aim = standing ADS (there will be 2 different options, you want to make sure you edit the version that lists "Widescreen" in the Aspect row)
fine aim underslung = standing ADS with hip positioned weapons (like the lever action shotgun)
fine aim crouch = crouching ADS

Editing fine aim values will affect ADS whether you are inside or outside.

I was going to edit the camera angles for when driving vehicles, but I haven't taken to time yet to narrow down which value that is exactly. Iirc correctly, I also edited the camera angles for riot shields and human shields when I uploaded.

Also, fun fact, I tested this mod with SRTT:Remastered and works just like it does in SRTT:Original. You can just drag and drop this mod directly into the root of your Remaster directory, and it should work immediately!

I really like how your mod helpes me achieve a naturally looking conversation shot between two people, which is indeed cinematic.
And thank you very much for such detailed response, I'm gonna try to play with the values to maybe try to lower the camera even a little bit more and possibly pushing the character even more to the side or right in the center, depending on the shot I'm gonna need.
Feel free to drop anything you might have for testing or halfway done =D

i thought of shooting my videos in the remastered version, but SR4 didn't get a remaster and If i ever wanted to move the story of my vids forward, from SR3 to SR4, the characters wouldn't look the same anymore and I think that would be bad in general. Besides the cartoonish/comic look of the original SR3 capured my heart so much I don't really need anything else =)) cheers!

Attachments

• cinematic camera conversation 1.png
    cinematic camera conversation 1.png
    2.5 MB · Views: 129
  • cinematic camera conversation 2.png
    cinematic camera conversation 2.png
    2.9 MB · Views: 119
  • cinematic camera conversation 3.png
    cinematic camera conversation 3.png
    2.8 MB · Views: 143
I really like how your mod helpes me achieve a naturally looking conversation shot between two people, which is indeed cinematic.
And thank you very much for such detailed response, I'm gonna try to play with the values to maybe try to lower the camera even a little bit more and possibly pushing the character even more to the side or right in the center, depending on the shot I'm gonna need.
Feel free to drop anything you might have for testing or halfway done =D

i thought of shooting my videos in the remastered version, but SR4 didn't get a remaster and If i ever wanted to move the story of my vids forward, from SR3 to SR4, the characters wouldn't look the same anymore and I think that would be bad in general. Besides the cartoonish/comic look of the original SR3 capured my heart so much I don't really need anything else =)) cheers!
Nice screenshots! I see what you mean. It does actually give some nice angles between characters. That's a really cool side effect I hadn't really expected :D

I also forgot to mention that I mostly adjusted the X, Y, and Z dist values more than the lookat offset values, although I did tweak lookat offset values slightly.

Now that I've been thinking, I believe that adjusting the lookat offset Y value does actually lower the Y position of the camera, where the Y dist value can affect the zoom distance in some ways. I'm not sure if Y dist might be on a sort of angular rotation, where it tilts the camera more downward or upward, rather than just shifting the camera's position up or down. Don't quote me on that though, as it has been a bit since I got in depth with the mod.

I have been making small tweaks here and there over time, and probably could upload an updated version pretty soon. More fine tweaks like lining up the crosshair better when free aiming while still keeping the character largely in frame. It's a lot of trial and error haha.

Tweaking the camera in SR4 was a lot more challenging because they break up the camera into a bunch of different segments. Most of the standard crouch/stand/free aim camera transfer over just fine, but there are differences between regular sprint and super sprint, super jump, wall running, and gliding values. I'd have to go through and just tweak each one a little bit to see which values actually affect them, but it can be a long process of changing a value > boot game > test > ??? > close game > tweak value... so I just have to muster the patience to work on it some more.

I definitely would really like to make one for SR4, because it would also take effect in Gat Out of Hell. All in time, though.

Last edited:
I definitely would really like to make one for SR4, because it would also take effect in Gat Out of Hell. All in time, though.
I look forward to seeing anything You'll find time to release and good luck with all Your projects!

Back