Adobe NOT giving away CS2 for free!

Status
Not open for further replies.

[V] IdolNinja

Volition Staff
Adobe's older Creative Software Suite 2 is now free! They are offering both downloads and registration keys on their site:
[link removed]

CS2 includes Acrobat, Illustrator, Photoshop, and Premiere, and bunch of other stuff.

EDIT:
Apparently, this was only intended for current legal owners of CS2 since they brought down their CS2 activation servers. More info here from Adobe staff:
http://forums.adobe.com/message/4974662#4974662

Actually, Adobe isn't removing the ability to freely download CS2.

They openly offer up the download.

From a completely legal standpoint, if they offer up a serial key, a working download, and public access, you are well with in your right to download the software, regardless of the fact if you already licensed it.

Actually, Adobe isn't removing the ability to freely download CS2.

They openly offer up the download.

From a completely legal standpoint, if they offer up a serial key, a working download, and public access, you are well with in your right to download the software, regardless of the fact if you already licensed it.

As much as you might wish it to be so, that still doesn't make it legal.

I am going to argue with you. You're wrong.

How do you figure?

Intellectual property laws work in a very specific manner. When you have an IP, it's your responsibility to maintain the security of it. That means making a clear licensing agreement available, and a system in place the prevents illegitimate access. Adobe has actively published not only the software, but the serials to activate the software, and made it available in a public manner; they have zero legal leg to stand on.

This causes what is know as a grey area, or a loophole. A loophole, by legal definition, is NOT illegal.

Moreover, Adobe has amended their EULA by replacing the terms that reference purchasing the software, to saying "obtained." Legally different definitions.

But the most important fact, is, only the licensor of an IP has the legal right to pursue legal action against those illegitimately using it; do you believe Adobe is going to try and prosecute the sheer number of people using an 8 year old version of their software that they themselves made easily available? I'd imagine they would bankrupt themselves in that process.

Adobe at best made a poor judgement call on releasing CS2 publicly. They haven't made any effort to prevent access to it now. Period. If you download it, you aren't breaking any laws, nor are you doing anything immorally.

(Please ignore, i'm board)

Hit the LIKE button an argument has arisen!
*ding ding!* in one corner we have the awesome admin and site owner MINIMAUL!
in the other corner we have MrTimmyA who doesn't have to argue but he will if needed.
Let the argument begin!
Dov Isaacs said:
You are only legally entitled to download and install with that serial number if you have a valid license to the product.
And thats where I stand.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back