Does anyone else enjoy Saints Row Gat Outta' Hell

I'm new to this community, I've played all the Saint's Row games starting from the first. I enjoyed the story on all of the games, it seems to me that Volition is going somewhere with this franchise but I keep seeing a lot of hate with recent Saints Row games. I just want to know why do people dislike the way SR is going?

Yes, I liked Gat out of Hell.

It doesn't feel like a 'full instalment' to me, but it was never aimed at being one - it was meant to be a standalone expansion and that's what it is.

I've enjoyed all the Saints Row stories too. Volition's sense of humor has always been very enjoyable to me, and that's one big thing that set's it apart from it's arch nemesis -- Grand Theft Auto. As Minimaul said, Gat Out of Hell is a standalone expansion, so I wouldn't have the same expectations for it as I have for the full Saints Row games.

I think much of the "hate" for the newer games stems from the fact that many of the "sandboxy" open world features that we loved in the older games have not been included in newer games (particularly, Saints Row 4). I would expect that, since Volition has such a huge arsenal of work to build upon, they would use that as a baseline for the newer games and then build upon it.

Instead, what I see is many of the features that attracted me to the Saints Row games being removed in the newer games. It seems like Saints Row 2 was the pinnacle of Saints Row games, as far as the open world goes, and the open world has been getting less interesting for each game. I do like Saints Row 3 for it's BEAUTIFUL graphics, but Steelport is still not nearly as interesting as Stilwater. Saints Row IV was a particular disappointment, since it simply took the Saints Row 3 world, destroyed almost all of the interesting buildings, removed weather, boats, cribs, etc.

Again, I enjoyed all the stories, so that's not my objection. But when the campaign is over in Saints Row 2, for example, there's still this huge and vibrant world to enjoy with all sorts of fun things, and that's what I loved about the Saints Row games.

So, I think the "hate" is not really hate but rather disappointment that the older games just have much more playability than the newer ones and are just more vibrant than the new ones.

Last edited:
I've enjoyed all the Saints Row stories too. Volition's sense of humor has always been very enjoyable to me, and that's one big thing that set's it apart from it's arch nemesis -- Grand Theft Auto. As Minimaul said, Gat Out of Hell is a standalone expansion, so I wouldn't have the same expectations for it as I have for the full Saints Row games.

I think much of the "hate" for the newer games stems from the fact that many of the "sandboxy" open world features that we loved in the older games have not been included in newer games (particularly, Saints Row 4). I would expect that, since Volition has such a huge arsenal of work to build upon, they would use that as a baseline for the newer games and then build upon it.

Instead, what I see is many of the features that attracted me to the Saints Row games being removed in the newer games. It seems like Saints Row 2 was the pinnacle of Saints Row games, as far as the open world goes, and the open world has been getting less interesting for each game. I do like Saints Row 3 for it's BEAUTIFUL graphics, but Steelport is still not nearly as interesting as Stilwater. Saints Row IV was a particular disappointment, since it simply took the Saints Row 3 world, destroyed almost all of the interesting buildings, removed weather, boats, cribs, etc.

Again, I enjoyed all the stories, so that's not my objection. But when the campaign is over in Saints Row 2, for example, there's still this huge and vibrant world to enjoy with all sorts of fun things, and that's what I loved about the Saints Row games.

So, I think the "hate" is not really hate but rather disappointment that the older games just have much more playability than the newer ones and are just more vibrant than the new ones.

Saints Row The Third is the best in the genre in my opinion, sure the city might be less "interesting" but then you have the good graphics, water reflections on the ground when it's raining, you have the massive billboards in Loren Square and so on. The story is way more interesting then the Saints Row 1 not sure about the second however. The story for the first two games are cliche in my opinion. In Saint's Row 1 you're just some guy walking and then out of nowhere you get recruited into the Saints and in Saints Row 2 you break out of prison, also the characters attitude towards you. "Ay, Playa we need to put Saints back on the map, go meet up with Johnny" I don't know, but one thing is for sure it's stale. Saints Row 1 and 2 is boring IMO.

Saints Row 4 and 3 however are interesting you're not in a city killing gang members 24/7.

Saints Row The Third is the best in the genre in my opinion, sure the city might be less "interesting" but then you have the good graphics, water reflections on the ground when it's raining, you have the massive billboards in Loren Square and so on.
Saints Row 3 is my favorite game to mod, just because the graphics are stunning! Graphically, it's just by far the best in the series for that reason. I totally love the wet ground reflections of the massive colored billboards at night when it's raining. They just haven't been able to match anything like that graphically since Saints Row 3.

If you're interested in the technical aspects of the lighting in Saints Row 3, watch this fascinating lecture by Scott Kircher at Volition. I particularly like the Lit Rain technology they use in Saints Row 3, that makes the rain so realistic. It's such a shame they abandoned all that wonderful technology in subsequent games.

Last edited:
Well, IMO, Gat Out Of Hell was pretty good, and I enjoyed it. For a standalone expansion to Saints Row IV, it's alright. Sure, it doesn't compare to the previous games, but GOOH is still a blast to play.

I'm new to this community, I've played all the Saint's Row games starting from the first. I enjoyed the story on all of the games, it seems to me that Volition is going somewhere with this franchise but I keep seeing a lot of hate with recent Saints Row games. I just want to know why do people dislike the way SR is going?
Because Violition is becoming more restricting in terms of what you can do in the games. Gat out of hell has practicaly only free world exploring and story. Although it can be excused as an side game to the franshise or to forward the story, after all, if they choose one to further the story through the ending of Gooh then it can be forgiven as a push for the story. If they choose to dismiss it, it can be forgiven as a side story.

Either way, Saints Row three doesn't have the same excuse, it has little in way of coloring and you cannot choose to dual wield or single wield, once you have dual wield, you have it for the rest of the game.
Upgrades can't be undone, and it is especially irritating when it comes to the guns. you can't just remove the upgrade if you don't like it. You could in Saints Row 2 (and 1 I think....)

Reminds me about an addage about Bethesda made games, wide an ocean, deep as a puddle, here's hoping AOM fixes that
Yeah, You had Fallout New Vegas done by a third party game maker, and they were widely successful, Bethesta tried to copy that.... whit Fallout 4. Didn't work so well did it..... Bethesta? But The Elderscrolls are still breathing good.... althouhg we're waiting for VI I think the number is now....

Back