SRV Confirmed + New great info!

I'll be the first to admit this is completely off topic and a little weird for a Saints Row forum, but here goes.

If you're looking for some old-fashioned gang gameplay, you might try Sleeping Dogs to tide you over for the next one, if you haven't. It's not a goofy game, though, very serious in tone.

I have tried Sleeping Dogs in fact. I beat it and it was an overall good game. Being a Saints Row fanboy and all though, still makes me wish SR went back to that manner of gameplay. :'(

That game gave me so many flashbacks to SR2 Fight Club. Not enough gunplay imo, but lots of dolphin diving onto dinner carts. That stayed fun longer than I expected.

I loved the gunplay in that game and every mission I hoped there would be a shootout scene and such, I truly hope the next SR delivers in that field, whether it being a new shooting mechanic or just doing a great job to get the gamer wanting the play then next mission, then the next, then the next, etc.

I want less shooting part (in fact I always fight barehands if I can) and some more different activities.
And exploration!

I'll be the first to admit this is completely off topic and a little weird for a Saints Row forum, but here goes.

If you're looking for some old-fashioned gang gameplay, you might try Sleeping Dogs to tide you over for the next one, if you haven't. It's not a goofy game, though, very serious in tone.

I bump that idea, Sleeping Dogs was actually a pretty refreshing experience. Wei Shen 10/10. would bang.

I want less shooting part (in fact I always fight barehands if I can) and some more different activities.
And exploration!

100% more activities. Not necessarily more, but a bigger variety of activities. It seems like SR:IV had a crap ton of the "Mayhem" activities, and I really got sick of it. I miss activities like "FUZZ" and "Crowd Control" and the normal non-superpower "Fight-Club". Oh man I could go on for a while, reminiscing on this has gotten me missing the old SR quite a bit. I truly hope SR:5 delivers.

I want as many and different vehicles as SR2 had.

For sure man, absolutely for sure. How many new vehicles were there for SR:IV ? Like 5 or something outrageous like that, I mean, I knew they were focusing on the super power element but that could of added a few more vehicles you know?

I'm sure Volition will do as much as they can. And I understand if they can't make a beautiful looking game AND add so much content. Even with next-gen. Most next gen games I played so far were pretending to be big open world, but they're not. They are just really slow paced. Perhaps GTA V. That game had a truely big city with loads of veriety. But then again, San Andreas was also a huge city. So either Volition will make a beautiful new or adjusted engine that allows a large, living city and tons of content that will keep you busy for +/- 70 to 80 hours and has a high replayabillity rating. Or it will (probably) go like one of the following 2 options:
1. You get a beautiful game, but a smaller city. They do what Watch_Dogs did and let you do most things on foot so the city feels big, but you have half of the activities you had in the other SR games, less costumisation, less or no choises, but hopefully a long story that is fun to play through and still keeps you busy for about 20 to 30 hours if you want to complete everything.
2. They make a less beautiful game, bit outdated graphics, but a huge, living city a la Stillwater with lots of content, more activities, racing, costumisation options, clothes, player choises (Although they probably should try to make one ending you can influence, but the outcome is still generally the same for the next SR game. Don't make the choise between "save Shaundi and let Pierce die or the other way around" while in the next SR both are alive again.) but you can influance the ending still. MAke it more easy because of things you did, or harder, have different ways to achieve that ending because of choises, that sort of things. BUT because of ALL that content, the game won't LOOK as a next gen game, but more like a more pretty version of SR:IV.

Personally I hope for option 2 (if they can't combine both of course.) I'd rather have a SR game that still looks nice enough but has a lot of fun to be had in the game itself. SR2 was also outdated, and still one of the most fun games I ever played. Everthing in that game felt great (except the scene where ultor soldiers raided a bar and the boss pulled the waitress onto the bar as a human shield. That broke immersion for me. I tried to play the game semi-good as much as the game allowed it. Shooting cops in the knees and such. xD )

But yeah, that is my personal opinion. I just wish they gave more information about it.

I'm sure Volition will do as much as they can. And I understand if they can't make a beautiful looking game AND add so much content. Even with next-gen. Most next gen games I played so far were pretending to be big open world, but they're not. They are just really slow paced. Perhaps GTA V. That game had a truely big city with loads of veriety. But then again, San Andreas was also a huge city. So either Volition will make a beautiful new or adjusted engine that allows a large, living city and tons of content that will keep you busy for +/- 70 to 80 hours and has a high replayabillity rating. Or it will (probably) go like one of the following 2 options:
1. You get a beautiful game, but a smaller city. They do what Watch_Dogs did and let you do most things on foot so the city feels big, but you have half of the activities you had in the other SR games, less costumisation, less or no choises, but hopefully a long story that is fun to play through and still keeps you busy for about 20 to 30 hours if you want to complete everything.
2. They make a less beautiful game, bit outdated graphics, but a huge, living city a la Stillwater with lots of content, more activities, racing, costumisation options, clothes, player choises (Although they probably should try to make one ending you can influence, but the outcome is still generally the same for the next SR game. Don't make the choise between "save Shaundi and let Pierce die or the other way around" while in the next SR both are alive again.) but you can influance the ending still. MAke it more easy because of things you did, or harder, have different ways to achieve that ending because of choises, that sort of things. BUT because of ALL that content, the game won't LOOK as a next gen game, but more like a more pretty version of SR:IV.

Personally I hope for option 2 (if they can't combine both of course.) I'd rather have a SR game that still looks nice enough but has a lot of fun to be had in the game itself. SR2 was also outdated, and still one of the most fun games I ever played. Everthing in that game felt great (except the scene where ultor soldiers raided a bar and the boss pulled the waitress onto the bar as a human shield. That broke immersion for me. I tried to play the game semi-good as much as the game allowed it. Shooting cops in the knees and such. xD )

But yeah, that is my personal opinion. I just wish they gave more information about it.
I agree with everything you said. And honestly I like Saints Row IV graphic.

For the human shield thing. I don't mind if there is something similar, i rather prefer that you can also frree your human shields during game (instead of just throwing them or cutting their throat). I've read somewhere that they did this to show how the Boss is evil and so, you have any possibility to do something less evil. Because of this, when I play I never use human shields, and when it happens I use one, I've found a way to free them.

I agree with everything you said. And honestly I like Saints Row IV graphic.

For the human shield thing. I don't mind if there is something similar, i rather prefer that you can also frree your human shields during game (instead of just throwing them or cutting their throat). I've read somewhere that they did this to show how the Boss is evil and so, you have any possibility to do something less evil. Because of this, when I play I never use human shields, and when it happens I use one, I've found a way to free them.
Yeah, it would be nice to have an option to free them without killing or tossing them five feet ahead of you

xD Well, I mean, I don't use civilians as shields anyway, only the gangs/aliens. But that SR2 things happened in a cutscene, so you didn't have a choise at all. I would love those choises to be present in cutscenes. Yes, just like in Mass Effect 2. You get a "renegade" prompt or a "Paragon" prompt. Let's call it.. er.. "Gangster" for Renegade and "Saint" for Paragon. So then you have three options. I'll use that cutscene from SR2 as an example:

The boss is drinking a beer, the ultor soldiers raid the bar and start shooting. You see the boss looking at the waitress. You get a Gangster prompt (Press the shoot button) and the boss pulls the waitress onto the bar and dives behind her while the waitress is shot several times and killed, but you start that level with 100% health. You get the Saint prompt (press the aim button) and the boss dives behind the bar with the waitress, but gets hit, so you start with 60% health. Or you don't press any button and the boss dives behind the bar, leaving the waitress to her face. The boss does get hit slightly, but survives while the waitress is also hit and falls down, but is alive, though probably not for long. You start the level with 80% health.

Those sorts of things would be awesome. And I'm not really saying I want more QTE, because those suck. But using those Gangster and Saint prompts would make the action filled cutscenes slightly more interesting and intense.

So, Volition employees, if you happen to roam the forums here, perhaps a fun idea? xD

Back