THQ Nordic acquires Koch Media

http://news.cision.com/thq-nordic-ab/r/thq-nordic-acquires-koch-media-gmbh,c2452159

In other words, THQ owns Volition again! Given that Nordic announced DRM free versions of several of their games just a few days ago, this sounds like nothing but good news for future Volition games, since we shouldn't have to worry about trash like Denuvo.

Also, Saints Row and Red Faction can be a shared universe again! Now if only Nordic somehow got their hands on the SR2 PC source code that was reportedly lost in the sale...

Well that was unexpected. To be honest, I don't know how to feel about this just yet. After all THQ Nordic has a history of sitting on IPs without releasing new installments, only remastering/porting existing games to current generation consoles. Until now I thought they simply couldn't afford AAA productions, but apparently I underestimated their financial capabilities - then again 150 million dollars is dirt cheap for 4 half-finished AAA games, 3 studios and 15 IPs. While it's exciting to have Red Faction and Saints Row under one roof again, I'm concerned that Nordic could possibly underfund future Volition titles with their economical mindset. But most importantly, I hope this won't cause layoffs at any one of Deep Silver's internal development studios. Thanks for sharing!

Supposedly the CEO is really loaded, and given the company's original goal of selling used games and comic books in the 90s, it seems like he's not exactly a faceless CEO with no interest in gaming that will run the company into the ground and then get a golden parachute. That's a stark contrast to the original THQ.

From what I've read, the plan to remaster and port old games is to gauge demand for new entries in those series, which is a smart idea.

Supposedly the CEO is really loaded, and given the company's original goal of selling used games and comic books in the 90s, it seems like he's not exactly a faceless CEO with no interest in gaming that will run the company into the ground and then get a golden parachute. That's a stark contrast to the original THQ.

From what I've read, the plan to remaster and port old games is to gauge demand for new entries in those series, which is a smart idea.
Agreed, Nordic definitely has a smart business strategy and their continous support of older games, such as RF:G, is highly sympathetic. I've been rooting for their success ever since they bought the Red Faction IP and the acquisition of Koch is a huge chance for them to really break into the AAA market. Excited to see how this plays out.

I feel like the time spent completely remaking it could instead be spent on just making sure SR5 is an equally good but new experience.

It'd be cool if Nordic could give the same care to SR2 that they did with Red Faction Guerilla's Steam update, though.

Back