Agents of Mayhem: Physically-Based Materials in a Stylized Open World

It's really sad how dead the Agents of Mayhem forum is (both here and on Steam). So I thought I'd post something interesting about AOM, particularly to people who are interesting in game engine technology.

This is a presentation by Volition at the 2017 Game Developers Conference entitled "Agents of Mayhem: Physically-Based Materials in a Stylized Open World":
https://www.gdcvault.com/play/1024690/-Agents-of-Mayhem-Physically

Something I thought was quite interesting is on page 8 -- photos from a "Prior Canceled Project" which AOM was replacing. Apparently they were working on a "gritty post apocalyptic title" at some point, which was what the AOM engine was initially built for. From the text overlays on the photos, it looks like that was back when Volition was still part of THQ.

I personally wish they had gone in the "realistic direction" they mention on that slide, but I think there's already enough post apocalyptic titles out there. I would rather see that "realistic direction" be used for a Saints Row game with a beautiful but more realistic city like SR2.

Last edited:
Sounds like ZEUS
Yes it does! I forgot all about that. :oops:

It is interesting to note that the AOM game engine was originally developed for Zeus. Now it makes a lot more sense why it's a bit overkill for a 1980's cartoonish style game like AOM. It was originally designed for a realistic type game, which is something I think that engine would be very suited for.

Last edited:
Yes it does! I forgot all about that. :oops:

It is interesting to note that the AOM game engine was originally developed for Zeus. Now it makes a lot more sense why it's a bit overkill for a 1980's cartoonish style game like AOM. It was originally designed for a realistic type game, which is something I think that engine would be very suited for.
Do you know if the structure of the AOM engine is completeley new or a modified version of a previous one?

Hope dies at least.....wish idolninja could talk about the internas.
:(
I'm guessing that the return on investment is not sufficient to warrant Volition spending any more time on AOM. Deep Silver probably had some choice words to that effect.

I think the only hope we would have is if someone at Volition wants to spend their own personal time helping us, like Knobby so graciously did with SR4. But I'm thinking they're not even going to have a lot of free time available if there is a crunch to release something that makes money ASAP.

Last edited:
I'm guessing that the return on investment is not sufficient to warrant Volition spending any more time on AOM. Deep Silver probably had some choice words to that effect.

I think the only hope we would have is if someone at Volition wants to spend their own personal time helping us, like Knobby so graciously did with SR4. But I'm thinking the're not even going to have a lot of free time available if there is a crunch to release something that makes money ASAP.
I agree with what you stated and I'm always impressed how much the guy's can do in their short free time and I've been ever greatfull to what they do for the community.

Back