Unsupported screen resolution - Can't start game

I've made a big mistake by applying a screen resolution that isn't supported. Now I can't even get to the opening screen to change it. I've also tried to remove and reinstall the game using steam, but had no luck with that either. The game memorised my wrong settings.

Can anyone tell me, how I can revert to some default setting without being ingame?

Go into your Steam\steamapps\common\Saints Row IV folder and either delete the display.ini file or change the resolution to something that your computer does have.

thanks, but there is no display.ini in my SR2 folder.

Sorry I missed the SR2 part.

C:\Users\<you>\AppData\Local\THQ\Saints Row 2
Remove the settings.dat file and restart.

Just tested by changing some settings and that is the file that updated.

I've made a big mistake by applying a screen resolution that isn't supported. Now I can't even get to the opening screen to change it. I've also tried to remove and reinstall the game using steam, but had no luck with that either. The game memorised my wrong settings.

Can anyone tell me, how I can revert to some default setting without being ingame?

Saints Row 2 on a Win 7 system stores such data here
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\THQ\Saints Row 2 where ****** is your local log in name .

EDIT, Doh, beat by 60 seconds. hah.

you should find a settings.dat file I THINK that may be the file you need to zap to reset. I'm not sure, and this is untested by me. Thetre appears to be no display.ini as in sr3 and sr4 in
the game main dir as you have found.

There are also game saves in that directory.
There is also 'profile.dat' which I have no idea of what it contains, it could be that is the correct file.

I'd back up those files and delete one then try the game. If that fails, restore the one you zapped and zap the other then try the game again.
One of them I expect has the current display settings.
Just be sure to save before zapping.

Also, if you do not have 'Show Hidden files/folders' enabled in your Win 7 windows explorer it is probably you can't see that directory tree.
SO you may need to fix that first.

Saints Row 2 on a Win 7 system stores such data here
C:\Users\*******\AppData\Local\THQ\Saints Row 2 where ****** is your local log in name .

EDIT, Doh, beat by 60 seconds. hah.

you should find a settings.dat file I THINK that may be the file you need to zap to reset. I'm not sure, and this is untested by me. Thetre appears to be no display.ini as in sr3 and sr4 in
the game main dir as you have found.

There are also game saves in that directory.
There is also 'profile.dat' which I have no idea of what it contains, it could be that is the correct file.

I'd back up those files and delete one then try the game. If that fails, restore the one you zapped and zap the other then try the game again.
One of them I expect has the current display settings.
Just be sure to save before zapping.

Also, if you do not have 'Show Hidden files/folders' enabled in your Win 7 windows explorer it is probably you can't see that directory tree.
SO you may need to fix that first.

I had to do a quick check with my system first.

Back