Small question on modding scope

I know that YES we will be getting new clothing and YES we will be getting new weapons...

but what about mods to the city of steelport?
because let's be honest here: sr4s major drawback is the recycled city of steelport, which was a FAR less interesting map that sr2 had.

but, would it be possible for players to say, add new islands, new buildings with interiors? i mean I can't see why not, other than of course what will be allowed to mod and the difficulty of making maps.
because honestly, I would LOVE for steelport to just be a more varied city... with more interiors, bars, districts, even a shopping mall. it's a simulation, after all. I wanna make it my own!

anyway, rambled on long enough. I love the mods available (glitch city is beautiful...thanks idol!)

Last edited:
I'm willing to take this as far as we can go and as long as interest holds out. The issue is that it's all nights and weekends type of work. We are allowed to make things for you, but not during normal business hours. This makes the pool of people willing and able to help very small and the time available super limited.

With those restrictions I don't see a way to get the editor ripped out from our internal network. The task is just monstrous. That leaves us with making tools to edit the zone files directly similar to how it was done with asm and str2 files early on. I've posted some of the zone file format and some work has been done on the object side of things in this thread, but I am unaware of any modifying of geometry and physics data.

I'm willing to take this as far as we can go and as long as interest holds out. The issue is that it's all nights and weekends type of work. We are allowed to make things for you, but not during normal business hours. This makes the pool of people willing and able to help very small and the time available super limited.

With those restrictions I don't see a way to get the editor ripped out from our internal network. The task is just monstrous. That leaves us with making tools to edit the zone files directly similar to how it was done with asm and str2 files early on. I've posted some of the zone file format and some work has been done on the object side of things in this thread, but I am unaware of any modifying of geometry and physics data.
that's perfectly fine. I was mostly curious.

This sort of thing requires a team of programmers. I know how to program in C++ and have years of reverse engineering experience. If anyone is interested in helping (loading up the world/zones, creating a 3D model viewer and working from there). Perhaps things like modding the maps will eventually be a thing. I'm sure I read somewhere that the collision is actually Havok based? If this is the case then it's pointless. .hkx format and the Havok SDK itself is closed source so it wouldn't be feasible anyway.

Back