Saints Row 1 & 2 Remaster

It's not such a crazy idea, but I don't know if a petition would make any difference. So many of us have been wanting a SR1 or SR2 remaster for so long (or even a PC version of SR1).
Honestly, I was surprised when they did an SR3 remaster. I didn't think it really needed one. I haven't purchased it yet because I'm perfectly happy with the original.
But SR1 and SR2 are BEGGING for a remaster, and I would buy that in a heartbeat!

It's not such a crazy idea, but I don't know if a petition would make any difference. So many of us have been wanting a SR1 or SR2 remaster for so long (or even a PC version of SR1).
Honestly, I was surprised when they did an SR3 remaster. I didn't think it really needed one. I haven't purchased it yet because I'm perfectly happy with the original.
But SR1 and SR2 are BEGGING for a remaster, and I would buy that in a heartbeat!
A petition is pretty crazy. It's not going to get many signatures to begin with, and even if it does - the result means nothing.
SRTT was remastered because it was by far the most profitable game in the series and I'm pretty sure Deep Silver / Volition need the money. So a remaster of the most successful game is a relatively safe money maker. There's no other motivation behind the remaster other than making money and reminding people that Saints Row isn't quite dead yet. It's no labour of love - it wasn't remastered because it needed or deserved one.
1 and 2 would take far more work to remaster than 3 did (especially 1. I don't see it EVER getting anything like a remaster unless Deep Silver strike platinum with 5). And with all that work they'd almost certainly make less money than SRTTR has, as Volition themselves warped the public perception of the series into this tongue-in-cheek wacky dildo meme series. 1 and 2 are seen by the general audience as inferior GTA clones (wrongfully so), and 1 especially wouldn't sell fantastically.
Obviously WE would buy 1 and 2 remasters, but I don't know if enough normal people would to make it profitable.

I never thought SR2's graphics were that bad anyway (For it's time). The only problem for me, was the constant crashing. But hopefully this Patch for the PC port will take care of that.

I only recently really realized what the general public's perception of this series was, while watching the SR3R reviews. As I said some time ago, I was pretty shocked when seeing most of the reviewers and commenters say that SR3 was the best in the series. But know that Mattie104 mentions it, it makes sense. It's all Volition's doing. They tried so hard to distance themselves from the stigma that was given to them, and they succeeded in a way. And even if the new direction isn't my cup of tea, I'm not mad. They had no choice. You can't win against the public opinion, even when the public opinion is wrong.

We won't get a SR1 & 2 remasters, that's fo sho. However there's a faint hope that the Saints Row series could return to the gangster style. With GTA Online being the face of the GTA series right now and for a long time to come (as GTA 6 is only in early development according to Jason Schreier), and with all the wacky and futuristic stuff they added over the years people started to complain that GTA was turning into "a Saints Row game" (obviously referring to the SR3 & 4 era). So today, more than ever, there is a demand for a grounded open world sandbox crime simulator with an emphasis on shooting and driving elements (nope, I won't say the taboo term, even if it's way faster).
On top of that, the fact that Rockstar and their parent company are starting to get called out for all the nasty shit they're doing (ruthless campaigns against modders, tax fraud, etc) means that more and more people are looking for an alternative company to support. *wink wink, nudge nudge* That could be you, Volition!

Seriously, Rockstar's time is long overdue. It's time for the mighty to fall and for the underdog to rise.

Last edited:
I really think they should lean into the niche of a smaller (Stilwater sized, which is small for modern standards) but insanely interactable and spontaneous gamespace. Expand on what 2 had with improvised weapons, enterable interiors, and all the action node stuff. It doesn't have to control realistically - I wouldn't want it to feel like recent Rockstar games - but it should build on what SR2 started.
It's unlikely to happen but I'd like an SR2 re-imagining following this sort of idea.

I loved the fact that most of the stores in Saints Row 2 had a different interior, even those of the same branch. And the idle stances made you feel like you were an actual person living in this city if you were willing to use them. SR2 was just pretty immersive, if you can call it that.
Although, I'd prefer a SR3 reimagining myself, if we're going into wishfully thinking territory. SR2 is good enough as it is.

Yes, it's disappointing that SR2 hasn't gotten the love it so rightly deserves. I tend to enjoy open world environments with lots to do, and SR2 delivered the biggest and most varied open world environment of all the Saints Row games (much bigger than SR3 and SR4). I can spend hours just goofing around in that big beautiful open world sandbox. I like it more than the GTA games in many ways. I still don't understand why it's not more highly rated. For people that have played ALL the Saints Row games, on average, SR2 is more often peoples' favorite. I don't know if those reviewers have really given it a fair chance.

Yeah, I guess you're right, most people haven't played the older ones.
The silver lining is that it's getting some love now. And I'd much prefer a fix done with love and care than a shoddy remaster.

Btw Quantum. Have you ever tried to play GTA San Andreas after you were disappointed by GTA 4? It seems to be pretty close to what you are looking for in a game.

Back