Problem modifying str2_pc file

Ok, I'm trying to modify cell_cheats.str2_pc. I unpack it with the latest "Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UnpackSTR2", edit cell_cheats.lua and repack.

It gives me a cell_cheats.vpp_pc file which I move to my install directory and rename to cell_cheats.str2_pc.

The game launches fine but when I open up my phone and try to enter the cheats menu, the phone freezes and all input is locked(animated parts are still animating, like the phone background)

Even starting with a fresh file and adding "local test = 0" to the script causes the phone to freeze, am I doing something wrong?

Re-Packing the unaltered version and placing it into my install directory as a .str2_pc works fine.

I haven't seen PackSTR2 output a vpp_pc file before. But if it works with an unmodified one, then whatever.

The problem is that you need to update vint_doc_containers.asm_pc with the UpdateASM tool. That file does not need to be repacked into anything; it can just sit in the sr3 root folder.

Thanks for the quick reply, I'll try that right away.

I think it's outputting "cell_cheats.vpp_pc" because I have not specified an output file and it's just using the directory name. The new batch I made should fix that and output the str2_pc directly to my install directory, now to add in the asm update!

I'm getting a bunch of warnings that go something like this: "Warning: Container 'blah blah blah' not found in directory."

Am I doing this right?
Code:
Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe "..\..\vint_doc_containers.asm_pc" "vint_doc_containers.asm_pc" "cell_cheats.str2_pc"

I tried this in the interface.vpp_pc folder as well, still had lots of warnings. The game still locked up when I tried an altered file

Edit: I figured it out, I have to point it to the packed str2_pc file, and not the unpacked folder

You are mentioning the asm_pc file twice, there. You only need it once. I don't know what your folder stucture is like, so here's an example of updating the file with any relevant str2_pc file that's currently in use.

Gibbed.SaintsRow3.UpdateASM.exe "D:\sr3\vint_doc_containers.asm_pc" "D:\sr3"

the first argument is the optional output file(outputting two folders back, to my game directory), I was pointing the container directory argument to my str2_pc folder instead of the location of my packed str2_pc file. It seems to be working now, hopefully I'm not too tired to do some actual coding :rolleyes:

Lol... That happens to me all the time. Anyways, I've successfully added an entry to the cheats menu so it's definitely working.

Some advice: The cell phone code seems to run in an entirely separate environment from the mission and sr3_city.lua code. They cannot interact with each other, and many of the functions used by missions and such can't be called from the phone, and vice versa. Depending on what you want to do with those menus, you may have some trouble.

Back