Next Gen gaming begins

You don't get the point. The Alienware X51 is a realy nice alternative to a console. It's affordable and it has the size of a console. Around €700 and you have a decent system.
or you could just get the Steam box when its out, im pretty sure its going to have beter specs and being such a mass produced product you will get alot beter specs at a much cheaper price

plus I tend to stay away from Dell products iv always found them to be realy bad in terms of life span

or you could just get the Steam box when its out, im pretty sure its going to have beter specs and being such a mass produced product you will get alot beter specs at a much cheaper price

plus I tend to stay away from Dell products iv always found them to be realy bad in terms of life span

Oh wow I totaly forgot about the Steambox. I totaly agree with you on this one. Would totaly get one of these if I had to pick one.

You don't get the point. The Alienware X51 is a realy nice alternative to a console. It's affordable and it has the size of a console. Around €700 and you have a decent system.
Heck, for the price of a console you can get a pretty dang nice PC for gaming. However, you don't buy a console just for the specs. Most people are more interested in the online service, peripherals, and exclusives. Consoles generate huge money, which allows for advancements that could never happen in the PC market. Not that I intend on buying an Xbox One or PS 4 any time soon. I'm totally a Steam guy, but I know that without consoles the economics of gaming would implode and no one would be able to release AAA titles anymore. We need the average consumer to buy consoles, and discs, and pay his $15 a month for online play. It floods the market with money, and allows publishers and developers to indulge in PC gaming despite it's relatively limited market share (excluding WOW of course.) Just like how Madden pays for EA to make games like Mirrors Edge. Sure we are super cool, but PC gaming can in no way support it's self. What's the last AAA title developed exclusively for PC? Crysis.....The Witcher? Both have moved to consoles, and there's a reason.

The main thing holding back the average person from playing primarily on PC is the complexity. Updating drivers, blue screen of death, Windows......being Windows....uh oh time to upgrade. It's easy for us, but it's our primary hobby. Steam has made huge leaps and bounds in fixing these issues, and Nvidia/AMD are also looking at ways to streamline simple issues on the PC. Nvidia Experience, Steam OS, Steam Machines, Steam in general. These things can easily make the PC the primary gaming machine....but not yet. EA, and Ubisoft will have to give up trying to replace Valve's Steam. No one wants to buy a game from Steam, and then have to launch a completely separate program, with it's own login, just to play a game. It's why I refuse to buy anything from either. They are a threat to the gaming business as a whole by jumping into the party 10 years to late, and wanting to take over. Valve will have to complete it's current objectives. Firstly, I'm in a Steam beta which allows me and my family to share the games we buy between different accounts. It's......a step in the right direction, but currently only one person can access a library at a time. So if my daughter play Dead Island from my library it locks me out from playing anything else. That's not ideal, but it's a Beta..so...you know. Nvidia Experience is pretty sweet, however ideally it needs to be integrated into Steam, and AMD needs to create a similar program. Long story short, Nvidia, AMD, Intel, Valve, and every game publisher, and developer would have to all join into one single cause. They would all have to get on board with Valve to make this happen......strange bed fellows.

I think I'll wait at least 9 months before I consider one of the next gen consoles. Even then I might not use it as much to warrant the $ I am going to spend on it.

Talking about the "Steam Box"... what're the differences between this, Alienware Steam Machine?

Talking about the "Steam Box"... what're the differences between this, Alienware Steam Machine?

Now they have a Steam logo on them......Not sure how I feel about all that. The Steam Machine at the $500 price point is a really good deal, the others are just foolish. For five hundred you get a i5, GTX 660, 8 gigs of ram, Steam controller so on and so forth. Pretty sweet set up especially for $500. $200 GPU, $200 CPU, $100 Mobo, $50-$100 Memory, $100 case, $100 power supply. Most decent barebones PC's are $350-$500. I won't actually buy a Steam Machine, but I like the cases. If they sale Steam machine cases I might put my rig in it.

Personally I would want to use a steam machine over a Xbox or Playstation.

Here are a few reasons why.

Install any OS you want (Windows or Linux)
Play Games from your Steam Library on your Steam Machine.
VR Ready!
Familiar and Open to developers to tinker with.
Play Movies, Listen To Music, Be productive, Modify Games!
Upgrade-able! Swap out ram, Change out video cards, etc.

I think that Consoles at least in their current form are going to be quickly dated because of Steam Machines.

With that said - I welcome our Steam Machine Overlords!

Last edited:
what bugs the hell out of me i agree with shit face pc is better because then you don't have to be in the middle of all of this console war bull shit i mean yes you got the exclusives and yes you have to just buy the consoles and you get your games.
but with pc yes you got to upgrade every now and then to keep up with the games but at least we got alot of advantages and asome stuff that we can do and use with the pc games that the consoles can not do .
like we can use mods or trainers and alot of games have better graphics on the pc to and crap like that i know shit face didn't say that exactly but it was kinda what he was saying i think correct me if i am wrong shitface .
oh and you dont have to have your games spanned on diffrent consoles instead you can have all your games digitally on steam ina library all on one place and machine .

Back