Need help with choosing a GPU

AMD 7970 or GTX 680?

• AMD 7970 2GB

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
So, I am getting a new GPU, and I have 2 choices.

nVidida GTX 680 4GB (costs 300 euro's extra)

or

AMD 7970 2GB (costs 300 euro's less, but also has 2GB less vram)

What do you guys recommend?

Wait for the GTX700 series coming later this month.

I don't know man, I bet these cards gonna be expensive as hell.

I want to try and get a GTX770 sometime this summer.

It will go well with the GTX670 already in this machine and replace the GTX660.

From what the rumors tell me, the 700 series are going to be rebranded 600 series cards, shifted one up (ie. 760TI = 670, 770 = 680). By they're just rumors. AMD has (had?) a Never Settle Bundle, where they bundle some games (FC3 Blood Dragon, Bioshock Infinite, something like that) along with your graphics card, so if you planned on buying those, you're essentially saving yourself some money. Personally, I always go with NVIDIA, as Inspector is too useful of a tool to live without.

EDIT: Unless you're running multiple displays, a really high resolution, or 8X SGSSAA, you don't need 4GB of VRAM. Get a 2GB 680 or the 7970.

But NVIDIA is so goddamn expensive. I guess I will go with a GTX 670 3GB though, since AMD is also known for their driver issues.

But does VRAM actualy matter that much? I mean 4GB vs 2GB VRAM, what's the difference? Will it boost performance?

As far as I can remember, you need more VRAM for higher resolutions, higher res textures, and antialiasing. Right now, 2GB is enough for 1080P gaming, so 3GB should be enough. Right now I'm running a GTX 650TI BOOST (which is about 10% weaker than a GTX660, but around $50 cheaper) with 2GB VRAM and I can max out most games while getting 40-50ish FPS, aside from the more demanding ones like Crysis 3 or Far Cry 3. A 3GB 670 should do fine. It's your choice to make.

Back