My laptop died, time to perform some surgery.

Your GPU is running at 80c.. and still operational? Cripes. I thought they panicked and did a thermal cutout long before that point. Or alternately crapped out and died.
I had a laptop die once. Was a geforce 8800. There was a sliiiight problem with that line of cards.. they used a cheap solder and didn';t bake it right, so after high temp and use they tended to fall apart and fry themselves. NVidia came out soon after with the 9800 which was identical in every way, except that it didn't suffer the same problem with solder giving. Did cost a new video card (thankfully my laptop had it slotted instead of integrated so it could be swapped).

You did get really lucky, hopefully your hack holds long enough to get a new one.. and if you do keep it out of the box, so to speak, it does grant far better cooling abilities to help combat any heat-related issues.

This sounds like dodgy/failing solder joints under the GPU to me - pressure on the GPU often relieves that. Reseating the heatsink might make it work for a bit because of the newly applied pressure.

Edit: also, urgh Acer.

hm... never had problems with Acers... using their laptop since 2007, played on it hard, so it was wery hot, but havent any overheating problem... only current prolems is died battery xD. Also their tablet PC wuth w8.1 works perfectly too.

I see too many with broken hinges and the only Acer I've owned failed when the GPU committed suicide due to overheating - due to inadequate cooling. Laptop never ran cool for it's entire life ;)

I buy Apple laptops now though, so I'm not the best judge of bang for buck ;)

This sounds like dodgy/failing solder joints under the GPU to me - pressure on the GPU often relieves that. Reseating the heatsink might make it work for a bit because of the newly applied pressure.
I think you are right. It's just died again.
It looks like I'll be using my clunky old desktop for a few months.
Edit: also, urgh Acer.
Well I did own a Sony VAIO laptop but that died a couple of months after the warranty ran out. Expensive and rubbish build quality. I'd rather have cheap and rubbish build quality. My Acer has lasted a couple of months short of 3 years and I used it pretty much every day.

Are there any GOOD laptop makers? Toshiba?

Alienware & Sager/Clevo. Everything is else is just cheap crap (MSI) or overpriced (Razer).

One problem when discussing hardware is that most people speak from individual experience of failures or lack of failures, rather than looking at statistics. "I had one and it broke." and "I had one and it worked." are not of much value when you're only one of millions of people who's had a piece of hardware from that company. Of course, this happens all the time when people talk about anything they have experience with.

Back