[Mod Release] Gangs of Stilwater for Saints Row is now available!

===== MOD NAME =====

[Xenia] Jacob_MP's Gangs of Stilwater Mod (v1.0)

===== MOD OVERVIEW =====

- Also known as the "Saints Row Player Gangs Mod", "Jacob_MP's Saints Row Player Gangs Mod" or "Jacob's Player Gangs Mod". **02/06/2023 EDIT: Mod name changed to "Gangs of Stilwater".

- Allows players to choose between playing as different gangs in Saints Row (2006), selecting between story mode (regular gameplay) and freeplay mode. Freeplay mode makes in-game missions unavailable while story mode keeps the in-game missions intact.

- Only tested to work with Saints Row (2006) when launched with the Xenia emulator (see installation instructions below if you get stuck).

- To check which mode you're currently in, start a new game. If the first mission is available, then that means you're in story mode with your chosen gang choice. If the first mission is not available upon starting a new game, then that means that you're in freeplay mode (the game will also let you know if you're in freeplay mode upon starting a new game after you spawn into the game world).

- Players can choose between remaining in the Saints or joining the Vice Kings, Los Carnales, Westside Rollerz, the Police or Civilian groups and Neutral Gang (also named internally as "Neutral Gang"; used for the player before joining the Saints).

- With each of these options, players will get access to at least one of the in-game cribs upon starting a new game only if they choose to play with the freeplay option (see below). Players will also be given a few weapons (via their crib weapon cache) and to get themselves started when picking one of the freeplay options (they'll have to buy their clothes themselves). Players can still perform hold-ups in stores since activities will be absent in freeplay mode (as the first two missions are not available to complete to unlock activities; these can be restored in freeplay mode).

- Each of the options below will also have their internal name (shown in the game code) shown in quotation marks.

- SAINTS: Player will have access to the Saints Row Loft. Internally known as "Playas". Freeplay available (though optional).

- VICE KINGS: Player will have access to the King Penthouse. Internally known as "Vice Lords". Freeplay available (though optional).

- LOS CARNALES: Player will have access to the Lopez Mansion. Internally known as "Los Carnales". Freeplay available (though optional).

- WESTSIDE ROLLERZ: Player will have access to the Price Mansion. Internally known as "Rollerz". Freeplay available (though optional).

- POLICE: Player will have access to the Saints Row Loft. Internally known as "Police". Freeplay mode not available with this option due to freeplay mode removing functionality of playing as a police officer (see the known issues with this mod regarding homies below).

- CIVILIAN: Player will have access to the Saints Row Loft. Internally known as "Civilian". Freeplay mode not available with this option due to major spawning imbalance issues (see the known issues with this mod below).

- NEUTRAL GANG: Player will have access to the Saints Row Loft. Internally known as "Neutral Gang". Emulates gameplay as a regular in-game civilian as the player will not be affiliated with any gangs if this option is chosen. Freeplay available (though optional). Freeplay mode with this option does not make activities available in-game (see known issues below).

- The automatic assignment of weapons and cribs will not apply if the player picks one of the story mode options. In this case, they'll only have their in-game gang changes (the gang that they're a part of), regardless of how the story missions play out. For instance, if the player is one of the Vice Kings in story mode, then more Vice Kings will spawn throughout Stilwater as they progress through the story missions.

- Any story mode gang options chosen by the player will override the script in the "3rd Street Vice Kings" mission that temporarily assigns the player to the Vice Kings gang (unless the original packfiles are left in your Saints Row install).

- Does not significantly change the story missions. Preserves almost all elements of the in-game storyline. Story missions are removed in freeplay mode.

- Does not affect your existing saved games as long as you do not load them and save them with this mod installed. Renames "Meeting the Saints" saved games with "Saints Row Freeplay Mode" in freeplay mode while this mod is installed (these revert back to normal after uninstalling this mod or switching to story mode).

- Also includes an additional folder called "extras". This doesn't contain anything significant, just a couple of things I used to make the gameplay demonstration for this mod. Decided to leave them in here anyway.

- Mod adaptations and tweaks are welcome. Remember to have fun with it and feel free to let me know if you find anything new!

- The original packfiles are included for those who wish to reverse the effects of this mod.

- New game highly recommended.

===== INSTALLATION INSTRUCTIONS =====

- Extract the compressed mod folder.

- Copy and paste the enclosed packfiles folder on top of your packfiles folder in your Saints Row game directory (emulated via Xenia).

- Start up the game and enjoy!

- Stuck with modding or installation? Check out Flippy's video here (How to Play Saints Row 1 on the PC):

===== KNOWN ISSUES =====

- Players may experience glitches or bugs throughout the story (i.e. gangs not attacking the player, etc.).

- Player may sometimes get notoriety from allied gangs and groups (i.e. Police).

- Some mission scripts may bug out as a result of the player being in a "different gang" (see **A2** below for explanation on why I've quoted "different gang").

- Some in-game elements may not make sense with this mod installed (cutscenes, etc.); these have been preserved as the only point of this mod is to internally "change" the player to a different gang of their choosing. While the player's default gang remains the same for the most part, the other changes in this mod will reflect an experience as if the player was part of a different gang.

- In story mode, at the very start of the game, the player's allied gang (only if the Vice Kings, Los Carnales or Westside Rollerz are chosen) will only spawn in the Saints Row district. This is due to how this mod is set out in relation to how gangs and other groups (i.e. the Police) are coded in-game. **A2** To make this mod work, I had to internally change the player's chosen gang members (excluding story characters and unique homies) to "Playas", or 3rd Street Saints, to allow the player to recruit members of the same gang as them. Simply changing the player to "Vice Lords", or Vice Kings, will not allow the player to recruit members of the Vice Kings. Concluded this info through testing.

- In relation to the point above, if a player is in a gang other than the 3rd Street Saints (for instance, if you choose to play as a Los Carnales member), actual 3rd Street Saints gang members will not spawn in-game outside of scripted sequences from missions (only found via testing, correct me if otherwise after proper installation of this mod). Also, hoods that are owned by you will always show up in purple as to avoid confusion on the part of the player as to which hoods they do and don't own.

- The above two points lead into my findings on gang member spawns; whichever gang the player has chosen, members of their chosen gang will spawn in areas that the player has taken over (story mode only). An unintentional side effect that debatably benefits player immersion (somewhat). An exception to this can be found in freeplay, where members of the player's gang will be scripted to spawn in their native territories (i.e. Los Carnales in the Barrio, Vice Kings in Downtown, Westside Rollerz in the Suburbs, etc.).

- The first in-game cutscene will play again each time after you load a saved game made with this mod; this isn't a problem as this cutscene can be skipped immediately without hindering your progress.
**This actually prevents a bug that indefinitely prevents the player from pausing their game. I've decided to keep this cutscene in this mod to eliminate any chances of this glitch happening in your game.

- Some options can cause balancing issues in NPC spawn rates, leaving some areas of the map nearly empty. Choosing to play in the Civilian group will allow one to observe these effects the most, though NPC spawns do begin to return to normal as your progress through the story and take over new territories (story mode only).

- Upon spawning in, some objects may take a bit longer to load in (assumed to be attributed to some altered player spawn points, such as outside the Saints Row Loft, etc.), though this could just be a minor issue on Xenia's side. Not a major issue and nothing to really worry about.

- Recruiting homies does not function properly in freeplay mode; the same applies with calling them via the in-game cellphone (I haven't been able to get this to work as of the 25/05/2023). Homies can still be recruited and called up as normal via story mode. Unlockable homies have been removed from freeplay mode as to not give players the impression that they can be used properly (attempts at fixing this are welcome). Chicken Ned can still be called, but won't be available to recruit in-game.

- Linked to the point above, freeplay mode doesn't include all of the in-game activities as my approach to it was to give players a feel for playing around in the game prior to the events of the main missions (story mode keeps all of them intact and playable).

- While the player is a member of "Neutral Gang" in freeplay mode, activities do not appear to be made available in-game, even when I had made attempts to do so (issue unknown, may be linked to the player not yet being assigned to the "Playas" gang - the Saints). Decided to leave activities out of the "Neutral Gang" freeplay option for this release of this mod.

- Controller acting like a mouse? If so, disable Xbox Configuration Support via Steam (if Steam is installed) by selecting Steam > Settings > Controller > General Controller Settings. This issue isn't attributed to this mod and is only one of many solutions to this issue.

- Additional solution to the above (controller acting like a mouse): https://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum...-like-a-mouse-for-xenia-emulator-users.20347/

===== CREDITS =====

- Jacob_MP (myself): Putting this mod together and adjusting in-game code to allow players to play as different gangs and use their respective cribs.

- Flippy: Introducing many of us to emulating this game and modding it, credited for creating the aforementioned tutorial (How to Play Saints Row 1 on the PC). See installation instructions above for Flippy's video tutorial.

I'm also planning on showcasing mods for Saints Row (2006) and other games via my YouTube channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnTQ5SsRGZuWdTnZMiMs4fA

Attachments

• saints-row_-_gangs_of_stilwater_v1-0_-_jacob_mp.rar
    748.1 MB · Views: 137
Certainly, yes! I recall looking in SR1's files a few months back when working on this mod and seeing most mission files have a function that assigns selected territories to the Saints as you complete their associated missions. By removing any code that triggers this in certain missions, you could definitely replicate Post game gang control from GoTR.

If one would like to go even further, they could remove any necessary code to make all territories remain occupied by enemy gangs even after the completion of certain story missions.

Back