Saints Row IV Minimaul's Saints Row IV Spoiler-free Review

Awesome review Minimaul! I'm running a GTX 460 but I'm glad the AMD issues seem to be fixed finally. That's going to make a lot of people happy campers. One thing I just thought of asking, does the game have a film grain like in the IS? Or is it at least configurable? I know some like that but it generally bugs the shit out of me. Maybe if it weren't so pronounced as it is in the IS. I figure at worst it can be modded out at some point.

Nice review. The AMD issues were kinda weird and spotty. I'm running 2 HD7950's in x-fire and have had NO issues, other than a little microstutter. My friend was running 2x HD 7750's and was getting a "pantyhose face" effect when playing DX10&11. He did clean installs of the game and his o/s and various versions of AMD drivers with different results. AMD's 13.8 beta driver's with frame pacing appear to have fixed my microstutter issue.

What is it with everyone saying SR2 was the peak of the series. I mean it was a great game but playing it again it doesn't seem any better then SR3 except the atmosphere. Stillwater is better than steelport but that is about it. Gameplay wise it was a little weaker in gunplay (though that may be because I hate toggle fine aim and love air juggling with my shepherds) stronger in melee. Story wise. it was disjointed and only one of the gang stories was good (Ronin) had no interest in the Samedi and Shaundi (she was just a stoner, and stoners aren't cool) nor did I care about Carlos, though the Brotherhood was a cool gang.

So yeah. Sexy action chick shaundi for the win, especially since you say she is no longer a moody cow, SRTT and SR2 are both even in my eyes. Can't wait for SRIV

SR2 is awesome for its writing and city, nothing much other than that for me. Is pretty much a GTA clone, a very good clone and I find Sleeping Dogs story has a lot of similarities with SR2. SR3 has amazing gameplay mechanics but Steelport is small and boring but I still end up enjoying SR3 more than SR2.

Seeing a couple of reviews on SR4, I'm really looking forward to it. It seem to improve on a couple of stuff they miss on SR3 and with modding coming, I think the game will be amazing.

What is it with everyone saying SR2 was the peak of the series. I mean it was a great game but playing it again it doesn't seem any better then SR3 except the atmosphere. Stillwater is better than steelport but that is about it. Gameplay wise it was a little weaker in gunplay (though that may be because I hate toggle fine aim and love air juggling with my shepherds) stronger in melee. Story wise. it was disjointed and only one of the gang stories was good (Ronin) had no interest in the Samedi and Shaundi (she was just a stoner, and stoners aren't cool) nor did I care about Carlos, though the Brotherhood was a cool gang.

So yeah. Sexy action chick shaundi for the win, especially since you say she is no longer a moody cow, SRTT and SR2 are both even in my eyes. Can't wait for SRIV

Just the fact that the city was more alive and it had a better story, is enough for me. Saints Row 2 had everything you could ever wish for. You can even choose the way you walk, for Christ sake. The only thing I found better on Saints Row 3 were the graphics and the gameplay. Neither of the gangs were good, except for the Deckers, who were OK. The NPC's are boring, and it had few memorable characters. If that was the first Saints Row game ever, it would be pretty damn good. But since it's following the story, it was a huge disappointment. The game was cool and funny, but it wasn't exactly what we wanted. But I'm looking forward to SR4 though.

Just the fact that the city was more alive and it had a better story, is enough for me. Saints Row 2 had everything you could ever wish for. You can even choose the way you walk, for Christ sake. The only thing I found better on Saints Row 3 were the graphics and the gameplay. Neither of the gangs were good, except for the Deckers, who were OK. The NPC's are boring, and it had few memorable characters. If that was the first Saints Row game ever, it would be pretty damn good. But since it's following the story, it was a huge disappointment. The game was cool and funny, but it wasn't exactly what we wanted. But I'm looking forward to SR4 though.

MrDragon summed it up for me pretty well here, too.

I love SR3 for it's humour and self-aware nature, and the gameplay just feels so spot on. I'm replaying it again right now, and having a blast, but it's giving me a fresh look at the shortcomings, like where the story drags (especially when you're forced to do the activities as 'story' missions). I actually didn't like some of the heavier moments in SR2, like Carlos' death (even though I didn't like Carlos and was pretty sure he was a redshirt as soon as you meet him in the prison hospital), which just felt a little out of place to me in the otherwise crazier, over the top story. The city of Stilwater was just such a great character in it's own right, and that's what really made it sing, even more than the extra depth to the character customization that SR2 has over SR3 (damn but I miss the layers and socks and stockings). Steelport just never really feels like much more than a backdrop.

I can't wait to get my hands on SR4, though. Four fucking days...long days... :p

MrDragon summed it up for me pretty well here, too.
(even though I didn't like Carlos and was pretty sure he was a redshirt as soon as you meet him in the prison hospital)
I can't wait to get my hands on SR4, though. Four fucking days...long days... :p

What's a redshirt? Sorry for my bad english.
Yeah, but you're lucky, I'll have to wait a week ! :(

"Red shirt" is a reference to the original Star Trek series. If you watch the episodes you can easily tell who is going to die on the team that goes down to the planet because they are wearing a red shirt.

"Red shirt" is a reference to the original Star Trek series. If you watch the episodes you can easily tell who is going to die on the team that goes down to the planet because they are wearing a red shirt.

Oh, I did think he was a redshirt, but I dind't think he was going to die so early in the game !

Back