Is SR Reboot a retooled SR 2?

I bought the SR reboot on sale, and honestly I like it quite a bit, but it really felt like it was running on an older engine with a major graphics overhaul. The animations and gameplay are very inline with SR2. The more I played the more I felt something strange was under the hood of this game. Any who, I did a screen capture with Nvidia overlay and when I went to find it Nvidia had saved it in my video's under Saints Row 2. Suddenly I was like...was this originally the Saints Row 2 update that never happened? Maybe not, but it certainly looks that way. (Sorry if this was already mentioned or discussed.)

definitely no relation to the sr2 rerelease whatsoever, it's not gonna be a remake or a remaster. just regular old sr2 except that it's no longer broken as shit and it comes with all the dlc

i think that's just nvidia ansel being weird

Nvidia is dumb. It creates folders with different names, not only SR2. I have folders named: Saints Row 2, Saints Row -- DX12, Saints Row, Sr5 and they all contain pics from the reboot

Also Reboot as a DLC to SR2 sounds funny ngl. SR2 and SRR work on different engines

Last edited:
Oh yes i noticed this too when using GeForce Experience to record gameplay and that nasty render bug that basically freezes my PC, but for some reason nVidia thinks the Raw Footage comes from Saints Row 2. And yes, i said this before but the Artstyle and models does feel like SR2, but don't be fooled. This isn't SR2 at all, i just think they went a bit on that Artstyle just to please the Fans.

Nvidia is dumb. It creates folders with different names, not only SR2. I have folders named: Saints Row 2, Saints Row -- DX12, Saints Row, Sr5 and they all contain pics from the reboot

Also Reboot as a DLC to SR2 sounds funny ngl. SR2 and SRR work on different engines
I'm assuming it's pulling the names from the exe. However, I haven't looked at the guts of SRR, so I don't know. Something about SRR just makes me think it wasn't originally intended to be what it ended up being. Don't know. Very strange. Whatever the new engine is, it feels like a step back from the SRtT, and SR4 engine. Especially with handling physics. Though could just be a learning curve for the team.

It's the newest version of AoM engine. I don't think handling has anything with game engine, it's just new edits in table files. I wouldn't say it a step back, I'd even said it's a step forward. The new engine allows to do more stuff you couldn't do in previous games

I wouldn't be shocked if this was in some way an advancement of their continual in house engine development, none of the animations really reminded me of SR2 in particular, but its hard to not see elements of the series hang around because... I mean its the same devs. If I remember right, the hostage animations in SR2 are almost the same as the ones from their Punisher game.

Having been going back through 2 and 3 because I'm impatient about waiting for more patches and content, I really find myself almost feeling spoiled at times by the new driving after having gotten used to it. The new ability to more directly swing your car around like a punch is pretty good.

I wouldn't be shocked if this was in some way an advancement of their continual in house engine development, none of the animations really reminded me of SR2 in particular, but its hard to not see elements of the series hang around because... I mean its the same devs. If I remember right, the hostage animations in SR2 are almost the same as the ones from their Punisher game.

Having been going back through 2 and 3 because I'm impatient about waiting for more patches and content, I really find myself almost feeling spoiled at times by the new driving after having gotten used to it. The new ability to more directly swing your car around like a punch is pretty good.
Personally after playing it quite a bit on PC I really like it overall. The lack of Saints Row edgelord humor hurts it quite a bit but besides that I'm liking it way more than I expected. There was a bit of a weird learning curve from SR3/4 to SRR. Still not a fan of the wing suit.

Last edited:
Keeping it all in house realistically means that they'd be saving a lot of money by creating their own independent engine to build off of. There'd be no percentage needed to be shared for any licensed or premade stuff. It's been a long and winding road and there's other little blips like Red Faction Geurilla and Armageddon that both shared the same engine or a fork of it I believe.

Anyways, it's sort of a mixed bag on what's the right decision in the industry? With Volition you have a team that has over a decade of experience with said engine in various places, at the same time it's proprietary nature might make it difficult to approach for newcomers? Changing to a different engine altogether though isn't just copy paste, they might have to completely rewrite and recreate a lot of the code, and that's on top of additional licensing costs they could incur later.

I dunno... business is hard and I'm not paid enough to make good decisions.

Back