Is piracy really a problem for Volition?

The lack of demos and real, accurate and honest previews is a genuine problem.
Yes, I agree completely with this. For example, when the Xbox 360 first came out, almost every new game had a demo. I purchased many games because I liked their demo. I seldom see free demos any more. I have also purchased games on Steam after finding a demo, but they are harder to find too. I can definitely see the lack of demos being an incentive to try a pirated version of a game. It seems that the quality of a lot of newer games has gone down lately, so I can't blame people for being extra cautious.

Yes, I agree completely with this. For example, when the Xbox 360 first came out, almost every new game had a demo. I purchased many games because I liked their demo. I seldom see free demos any more. I have also purchased games on Steam after finding a demo, but they are harder to find too. I can definitely see the lack of demos being an incentive to try a pirated version of a game. It seems that the quality of a lot of newer games has gone down lately, so I can't blame people for being extra cautious.
On consoles, it's more realistic to do things like time-limited demos that are basically the full game with say a 20 minute time limit.
Console hacking isn't a massive issue, especially on current gen.

On PC though? There's no way at all that would work.

On consoles, it's more realistic to do things like time-limited demos that are basically the full game with say a 20 minute time limit.
Console hacking isn't a massive issue, especially on current gen.

On PC though? There's no way at all that would work.
True -- there's no way to stop determined hackers on the PC. But, assuming I'm someone with either a high moral conscience :D or I'm deathly afraid of my PC catching a virus from a hacked game :eek:, a demo would be something I'm more likely to download than a hacked game. But, I suppose a game company could save themselves work by just assuming that the pirates will provide the "demos" for them. ;)

True -- there's no way to stop determined hackers on the PC. But, assuming I'm someone with either a high moral conscience :D or I'm deathly afraid of my PC catching a virus from a hacked game :eek:, a demo would be something I'm more likely to download than a hacked game. But, I suppose a game company could save themselves work by just assuming that the pirates will provide the "demos" for them. ;)
Well on console you wouldn't really have to do *anything* to provide a 20 minute demo - you could just use the normal digital download copy of the game and have the console's OS enforce a 20 minute max use period, then give you the option to buy or delete.

Back