Is a fan-game attemptable?

Hi,

*Forgot to mention this but this is not just a spur of the moment idea, I started planning this before the reboot was even teased*

I'm someone that always loved the Saints Row Franchise and am currently thinking about making a prequel to Saints Row 1 (it would probably be based on the original Saints Row 2 idea volition had about making a game that would follow Julius and Ben King when they founded the Vice Kings in the 70's) but I am VERY concerned about my project either getting taken down or myself getting into legal trouble for it.

This is the main reason I am asking here for you guys' take on if my fears a genuine or if I'm just extrapolating on what I'm seeing from Rockstar/TakeTwo and other companies taking down fan-games and/or mods left and right. Would a fan-game be attemptable?, Does it matter if I put Saints Row in the title (cuz I was thinking about calling it something like "We Are The Vice Kings")?, Does it matter if I use Saints Row Characters? what would be my options here?

Thanks in advance

Very tricky, but if you try to play around the with game name then I think you'd be fine to go ahead with a project like that as long as you aren't making money from it.

The best advice I can give you is probably to never speak about it again so that when you do release it, people immediately have something to play. still risky, but 100% better than being C&D'd at the trailer stages wqhen the game is 70% there

Julian Small and Kenneth Royal star in "Rise of the Vice Royals"... That's all I'm gonna say.

Featuring: Tina Chills, Will Warrens, Huge Tommy, and Lamar.

Last edited:
yeah, that's always a risk with fangames. Technically, they own the intellectual property and can do with it as they please. it'd be better to do something in the -spirit- of whatever series you'd like to make a fangame of and make something original instead. who knows, maybe you will have improved gameplay designs!

Hi,

*Forgot to mention this but this is not just a spur of the moment idea, I started planning this before the reboot was even teased*

I'm someone that always loved the Saints Row Franchise and am currently thinking about making a prequel to Saints Row 1 (it would probably be based on the original Saints Row 2 idea volition had about making a game that would follow Julius and Ben King when they founded the Vice Kings in the 70's) but I am VERY concerned about my project either getting taken down or myself getting into legal trouble for it.

This is the main reason I am asking here for you guys' take on if my fears a genuine or if I'm just extrapolating on what I'm seeing from Rockstar/TakeTwo and other companies taking down fan-games and/or mods left and right. Would a fan-game be attemptable?, Does it matter if I put Saints Row in the title (cuz I was thinking about calling it something like "We Are The Vice Kings")?, Does it matter if I use Saints Row Characters? what would be my options here?

Thanks in advance
Hello! First of all, I want to note that you have a very cool idea and I myself was thinking about creating the same content! Further, there will be no consequences from creating such a game as long as it remains free. If the game is sold, there will be consequences from the intellectual property rights holders.

This is the main reason I am asking here for you guys' take on if my fears a genuine or if I'm just extrapolating on what I'm seeing from Rockstar/TakeTwo and other companies taking down fan-games and/or mods left and right
In fact, the companies you listed removed modifications when they created remasters of their games. Mods for the original games, which looked a hundred times cooler than the remasters that the companies produced, were removed. Moreover, Rockstar and T2 are quite toxic companies that do not want their games to be modified in any way. Saints Row, on the other hand, has a modding toolkit, and the developers often contact modders.

Back