I wonder at times...

What if it was made in Euphoria?
upload_2016-10-6_18-48-44.jpeg

Honestly, the Saints Row engine is pretty good, but it does need some updating by now. A few things I'd like to see:
  1. Character movement can be improved, so Euphoria wouldn't be a bad addition (or something equivalent). Those invisible ramps they use for steps is very old-school by now. I appreciate how GTA actually STEPS up and down the steps. And, of course, let's get some AI head turning on the bots (like Saints Row 1 actually had).
  2. Draw distance can be improved, particularly for grass and small foliage, and it should fade in over a distance (or screen door) instead of abruptly appearing at a certain distance. It's curious that the table files have fade distances specified, but they don't seem to work.
  3. I hate to make the comparison, but I appreciate the way GTA did distant automobile AI and rendering. Saints Row currently has two separate systems for distant traffic and near cars, and they fade, rather noticeably, between the two as you get nearer. The far cars have no relation to the near cars. But GTA's system is unified, so the far cars actually keep the same position as the near cars, and so you can watch a car come toward you from a far distance. It's especially cool at night, when the cars are simply points of light at a distant, but turn into real cars with headlights as they get closer. But the position stays the same so there's the illusion of a single car approaching.
  4. While I really LOVE the lighting in Saints Row 3, particularly wet roads at night, rendering of dynamic lighting at a distance could be improved. Currently, streetlights simply disappear at a certain distance, which is particularly noticeable when flying. Suddenly, a road will just go dark, or building lights will just turn off. A gradual transition from close dynamic to far static lighting would really help the realism.
So, you really don't need a whole new engine. Just some incremental improvements. I actually love the way you can do so much with Lua (although I wish a few more things were exposed) and tables. Some Engines, like UE4, embed a lot of that into binary files that can't be edited with just a text editor.

Honestly, the Saints Row engine is pretty good, but it does need some updating by now. A few things I'd like to see:
  1. Character movement can be improved, so Euphoria wouldn't be a bad addition (or something equivalent). Those invisible ramps they use for steps is very old-school by now. I appreciate how GTA actually STEPS up and down the steps. And, of course, let's get some AI head turning on the bots (like Saints Row 1 actually had).
  2. Draw distance can be improved, particularly for grass and small foliage, and it should fade in over a distance (or screen door) instead of abruptly appearing at a certain distance. It's curious that the table files have fade distances specified, but they don't seem to work.
  3. I hate to make the comparison, but I appreciate the way GTA did distant automobile AI and rendering. Saints Row currently has two separate systems for distant traffic and near cars, and they fade, rather noticeably, between the two as you get nearer. The far cars have no relation to the near cars. But GTA's system is unified, so the far cars actually keep the same position as the near cars, and so you can watch a car come toward you from a far distance. It's especially cool at night, when the cars are simply points of light at a distant, but turn into real cars with headlights as they get closer. But the position stays the same so there's the illusion of a single car approaching.
  4. While I really LOVE the lighting in Saints Row 3, particularly wet roads at night, rendering of dynamic lighting at a distance could be improved. Currently, streetlights simply disappear at a certain distance, which is particularly noticeable when flying. Suddenly, a road will just go dark, or building lights will just turn off. A gradual transition from close dynamic to far static lighting would really help the realism.
So, you really don't need a whole new engine. Just some incremental improvements. I actually love the way you can do so much with Lua (although I wish a few more things were exposed) and tables. Some Engines, like UE4, embed a lot of that into binary files that can't be edited with just a text editor.
Although it would be nice to see a fresh new engine, made from the ground up however it would take time. I'm fine with that though, take as long as possible

Back