Freezing after Aug 30 Patch?

The game ran perfectly for me until the August 30th patch; after that, the game will arbitrarily freeze. The audio will proceed for a while, but the screen itself is frozen. If I happen to be firing an automatic weapon at the time, that sound effect will keep playing. The only way to close the game at this point is through the task manager.

This freeze can happen at any time; during a cut scene, during a video, during a fight, when completely standing still, even a loading screen!

CPU - AMD FX-8120 Eight Core Processor (3.10 GHz)
Motherboard - ASUSTeK M5A99X EVO
Power Supply - Corsair GS700 (700w)
RAM - 16GB DDR3
Graphics Card - NVIDIA GeForce GTX 560 Ti
Graphics Driver - 9.18.13.2049 (320.49)
Monitor Setup - One HP w2207h, One HP w1907, both DVI connected
Onboard Audio - Realtek
Headphone - None
Operating System - Windows 7 Home Premium (64-bit)

Things I have done to try to fix this issue on my own over the past week:
- Verify game cache via Steam
- Remove all Mods
- Disable all cheats
- Change between Windowed/Fullscreen mode
- Disable Steam overlay
- Disable desktop composition
- Run as Administrator
- Set the Priority in the task manager to "High"
- Disable all non-essential programs and background processes
- Set the affinity in the task manager to only use only four processors, then only two
- Turn on "Threaded optimization" via NVIDIA Control Panel
- Run Windows Update
- Update Graphics Card drivers
- Disable VSync
- Disable Antialiasing
- Unplug secondary monitor
- Reinstall SRIV completely
- Started a brand new SRIV game with a different character (froze during the Zin attack on the White House)
- Move PC to a location closer to my A/C vent for better airflow and temperature control (at this point, I was getting desperate)
- Updated to newest BIOS
- Tested RAM for defects
- Used beta video drivers (326.41)

So, if there's anything else I should try, please let me know! Otherwise, I hope for a fix for this soon.

Last edited:
What about your Power Supply?

Hmm.. that should be more than enough power to handle what you're throwing at it.

Are you having any symptoms in any other games?
Have you tried running any diagnostic software on it to see if something might be going bad, like your RAM?

Do you happen to have another power supply you can try to rule out that your power supply isn't dieing?

Are you having any symptoms in any other games?

None at all! I've tried booting up Saints Row 3 again to see how that went, played LotRO for hours; no problems at all. SR4 wasn't even acting up until the very day I got the newest patch.

Have you tried running any diagnostic software on it to see if something might be going bad, like your RAM?

I just tested the RAM for issues, none detected.

Do you happen to have another power supply you can try to rule out that your power supply isn't dieing?

I do not, though hopefully it won't come to that! I'd hate to drop the money on a new power supply only to find out the game still won't work. Though I love this game enough to consider it, if that's the last effort...

If you're not having issues in SRTT but you are in SRIV then it's gotta be something with 4...

Not sure where to go from here though.

If you're not having issues in SRTT but you are in SRIV then it's gotta be something with 4...

Not sure where to go from here though.

Me either! I just tried starting a brand new SRIV game from scratch, and it still froze. I don't think I'm the only one having this problem, so I guess I just have to hope and wait for a patch!

I think it's something to do with cutscenes, mine was crashing in the same place over and over again.
Then I decided I was going to do the challenges and get all the clusters, I played for HOURS and it was fine. Then I went to try the mission again and it crashed in the same place.
The way I got round it was to play a Loyalty mission or two instead. Then when I got back to the main story it worked. I'm SO confused!

Isn't PC gaming great?
It's unfortunate the game isn't crashing. There'd be more useful information.
You can also check for other driver updates like audio, disconnect unnecessary peripherals, or sacrifice a live goat.

Someone in another thread mentioned some crashes in a specific mission that were averted by limiting the game to running on 2 cores with the task manager's CPU affinity settings, so why not give that a try, too? I know you tried 4, but let's go deeper. Can't hurt.

Last edited:
I'm not used to using DXDiag for reference to Nvvidia drivers.
Are the ones listed in OP the 320.49 WHQL
??
If so, you might try one of the later beta versions just for grins. I'm using 326.41 here . DXdiag lists them as 9.18.13.2641
There is a later beta pack 326.80 that I've not bothered with as I have no issues.
That said, had no issues with the prior driver set either, which was WHQL version I think you have listed above.

Definitely a bugger problem as you have covered a lot of tracks already. It sounds to me like a hardware/driver issue on the face of it but tracking it
down is the painful part.
Here is a idea. Try disabling sound in the game for a while, also check to see if in stereo mode in your sound driver config for the system (in other words not in 5.1)

EDIT, doh nm I see you did the following already.

Another idea, off the cuff. I dont' think I see that you tried to limit the number of cores the game process can access. You might
give that a whirl. It is reaching for straws now.....

Err, overclocking maybe ?

Back