First Impressions (No Spoilers)

Agents of Mayhem just unlocked for me a few hours ago and I'm enjoying the game.

I'm approaching it as a new IP, not Saints Row or a spin-off (although, indirectly, it is).

I kind of miss having my own custom character but that's a lot of work and I think Volition wanted to do something different so I'll live.

I'm not sure the different styles of cutscenes work very well (traditional animation switching to CG and back). I think maybe one or the other.

But the important thing is, I'm having fun so far which is the entire point ;)

Rama is a blast to play with
My really only gripe is the lack of customization on the agents
yeah skills, perks, skins are nice but how about some loot like armor, hats, gloves
If we can't custimize the agents face/body they should have at least keep some kind of wardrobe for mixing and matching.
I think it would fit in the rpg world with all the loot chest and pickups.

After 12 hours of play:

• I like how difficulty auto-adjusts based on the squad levels so when you get a new agent and have their mission it takes into account that they are level 1 etc.
  • I miss the over the top crazy humor that Saints Row 4 had but AoM has a different tone and is a slightly more serious GI Joe riff so I think it's more something I need to just get used to. (I did find Braddock's "personal" mission rather amusing.)
  • So far the characterization is a little weak but with a larger group that's probably just to be expected.
  • More customization of squad members would be nice. Right now it's as extensive as Borderlands (to say... not much).
  • The world setup isn't explained much so far. (I'm assuming it's an alternate 2017.)
  • Some game elements (like these drill things coming out of the ground) aren't explained and they interfere with racing missions.
  • No huge bugs so far but I've seen some glitches with objects.
  • Don't have a favorite agent so far currently my squad is Braddock, Fortune and Rama.

Sadly I have had very bad performance issues, and a false positive with my anti virus software.
Maybe a GTX 780 ti is not sufficient, but it seems to be optimization problems.

I also notice a lot of the bugs I reported a long while back on pedestrians and physics objects, so that is a shame.

I can't play a lot unless issues are resolved.

More Feedback:
  • During a personal mission, there are flashbacks, yet the LEGION doomsday weapon was nearby along with snipers making it really annoying (especially since if I went to take out the sniper it warned about leaving the mission area.). During personal missions, it would probably be best to disable LEGION "events" in the mission's area/along it's path during the mission.
  • Getting Intel seems a bit more tedious than it should be, the only reliable way to get it are the hostage events, I'm still not terribly far into the campaign and I have too much cash, more cores than I'll ever need, but Intel was rather grindy for some reason.
  • In some respects, the game feels unfinished, some cutscenes are fully animated, others are like a motion comic (like they ran out of time and/or money) and some bits are CG. I wish Volition had stuck with one style instead of flipping around.
  • While fun, there's been a slow "dumbing down" to Volition's games, I realize some of it is keeping what works and dropping what doesn't but Saints Row 2 had a lot of complexity which gradually lessened in SR3 and SR4 (sadly I never got to play the first Saints Row since I don't have a console). Gat Out Of Hell's sudden simplification on a lot of levels I had blamed on High Voltage Software "phoning it in" (which they often do) but now with Agents of Mayhem I'm not so sure. Don't get me wrong, I like Agents of Mayhem, I think it could've been much more though.

I sadly had to refund, the game is unplayable for me. It's technically playable sure, but it's very unpleasant, and is a much worse experience than if they fix the issues.

I really hope Volition is able to bug fix/improve pedesterians, and other in game issues. The game feels like it needs polishing, so I hope they are able to, and that the games reception doesn't harshly affect the company.

There is a skeleton here with a tonne of potential, but doesn't seem to be fleshed out. The parkour/combat/animations/city are all fantastic, but you just need more interesting things to do in it, and more in depth storytelling.

I don't think it being lighthearted is an excuse to not have an interesting story and character development, some of my favourite stories are lighthearted. And I was hoping the playable characters would talk to eachother more, there needs to be more interactions to make the world more interesting.

The ark would have been the perfect opportunity for discussions between characters, some lighthearted moments/cutscenes, or interesting interpersonal character development (including with Persephone and other npc's).

The combat seems great, but there should be more interesting things to do with it, part of what made Saints Row 4 great was the excellent missions, which were involved, had lots of character building and interesting dialogue, diverse, and generally a tonne of fun. Adding on top of that this really good combat would be exceptional.

Busywork is a terrible design idea, gamers hate busywork, especially in open worlds, the focus should be on more interesting (and fun to experience or challenge yourself with) content, that players want to do, or ways to immerse yourself and interact with the world itself.

People don't mind less content if that content is inherently fun and engaging.

What about a Roller Derby game with Daisy? Or Martial Arts? Something Involving Genki? The Gold Silver Bronze system? Something uniquely challenging and replayable?

I want to learn more about the culture and lore behind the city, but it's mostly set dressing, the worst thing about open worlds is when you have this beautiful landscape with diverse locations, but absolutely nothing to do in it, or ways to interact with it. In previous games the characters would interact with places in the city during cutscenes (and in Saints Row 2 you could participate in ambient activities to immerse yourself), stuff as simple as being able to sit really helps world building. Heck, being able to interact with Tai Chi or Yoga would be awesome.

Effort to make the world feel less empty should be a priority usually, I have being saying for months I think intelligent diverse pedestrians are super important for interesting worlds (and enemies could have ambient activities too),

I can't give much feedback on the comedy, I am sure writing is a hugely difficult task. Focusing more on higher brow/witty/intelligent humour might help (crude is fine, just... smart crude? "shrug"). Or taking inspiration from The Stanley Parable/Tales From The Borderlands/Dr Langeskov/Accounting/Undertale.
Saints Row 4 had the best humour for Volition in my opinion. GOTH and 3 felt a little forced.

It's awesome that every character has dialogue for every mission, but if they don't have unique interactions with npc's, don't reveal interesting info, or have great moments/dialogue? What's the point? Why have all these unique characters if they only have one liners, instead of proper interactions and story development?

Why should you replay missions to hear "Completed the objective" in slightly different ways? And no changes in how npc's react? The characters should have more story involvement and depth to the interactions, it could allow more unique humour too.

It doesn't help replayability if almost every line is responding in a very similar way. The potential dialogue on the ark sounds exciting, but the Ark feels quite canned/contrived as well, would have been much better if dialogue interactions were present.

Most of this is based on what I'm hearing about the reception (since I can't properly analyse the game myself right now), and what I have watched/learnt, so feel free to correct me on some of this critique if is false or undermining something.

Last edited:
Back