Failed to start game (app already running) error

I am also getting the "Failed to start game (app already running)" error/crash, though I get it when I try to load my game either through "Continue" or going through campaign and loading my autosave. The game crashes during the loading screen(during which for some reason one of the Matt Miller audio pieces starts to play) at the point I feel like it would be about to transition into having finished loading the save file and starting gameplay.

I dont have any mods for SRIV but do have the DLC: "Dubstep expansion pack" and "Gat V Pack". I dont have a sound card and have been through both threads Ive found with people having this issue. Ive searched for the HsMgr.exe and any processes that would start after Ive launched the game and have noticed nothing that stands out.

My event viewer(Windows Logs>Applications) has nothing that shows its related to SRIV and the most recent loged event was 9/28 around 2am and the most recent crash was 9/29 at around 1:14am, the most recent was 9/28(started around 9/25 and have accumulated around 21 crash logs trying different fixes Ive seen here and through the steam community forums). Ive attached the most recent crash to this post as well as my msinfo.

I have tried running steam as an administrator, uninstalling and reinstalling, and verifying the game cache through steam.

I believe Ive posted all the information requested and described everything that happens/I have done, If there is any more information needed please request.
Your crash is loading the player customization data from your gamesave. Did you try to edit the gamesave or something? It just looks like bad data in there. Do you have another save?

Your crash is loading the player customization data from your gamesave. Did you try to edit the gamesave or something? It just looks like bad data in there. Do you have another save?

I hadnt touched any of the game files, though the last crash had to have been right around when the game autosaved. I believe I had just finished a mission when it had crashed.

I did have a second save that was about 25-30% through the game, I had saved a few hours into playing, and have been playing on that and saving religiously(after every mission, challenge, and upgrade lol). Ive had a few crashes without a prompt from steam and a few "Failed to start game (app already running)'s" but with every crash so far I had saved within around 10-30 seconds of it crashing and up to this point I've been able to load the game back up from that save and play for a while. I had actually got on today to make an edit to let you guys know this information about my second save loading up and about making a backup save for the autosave(due to work Id just been able to have a go at playing SRIV today since I made my post Sunday)

I'm having this issue. Tried some options and nothing get fixed.
I'm having this issue. With Sr4 and with Sr4 inauguration station (when I try to import my character from Saintsrow.com)
Tried some solution and nothing get fixed.

I also don't know how to get MSinfo and saintsrowwiv.

Last edited:
Problem solved. I hope (yesterday I re-downloaded Sr4 from Steam, without uninstalling it and yesterday I was able to play it)

I have the same problem and this is what I have found to be the cause in my case.

I have the mod - NPC_Behaviour_Spawn_Mod_SR4_v15.

...to get rid of the glitching city I changed the value below from 1000 to 0.

In tweak_table.xtbl - Glitch_effect_lifetime</Name><Value>1000<

Re-setting the value to 1000, the game starts fine.

I have the same problem and this is what I have found to be the cause in my case.

I have the mod - NPC_Behaviour_Spawn_Mod_SR4_v15.

...to get rid of the glitching city I changed the value below from 1000 to 0.

In tweak_table.xtbl - Glitch_effect_lifetime</Name><Value>1000<

Re-setting the value to 1000, the game starts fine.

yea the same thing happened to me with that same mod so i had to deleate saints row 4 and re-install it

Well I am also having this issue.."app already running" and here is my crash log...can anyone from volition take a look at this and see if its my machine. I cant open this type of file.

Thanks in advance

Attachments

• saintsrowiv_1117880_crash_2013_11_24T4_43_42C0.mdmp
    82.3 KB · Views: 420
I was having an issue where on occasion my graphics driver would crash ( and the game along with it) I had recently updated my driver to the latest version then I started getting this error. If it makes any difference I had also recently downloaded the element of destruction DLC. I have attached the latest .mdmp file.

Attachments

• saintsrowiv_1117880_crash_2013_11_30T20_49_19C0.mdmp
    85.6 KB · Views: 420
Back