Extracting an individual packfile

M

Minimaul

To extract an individual packfile using the Saints Row IV tools (a vpp_pc or str2_pc file), you will need:
  1. My Saints Row IV tools: http://www.saintsrowmods.com/forum/threads/minimauls-saints-row-iv-tools.3188/
  2. A packfile to extract - in Saints Row IV these are files ending in .vpp_pc or .str2_pc.
To extract an individual packfile, do the following:
  1. Download the latest attached file from the Saints Row IV tools thread, and extract it using your favourite extractor. I recommend 7-zip.

You should now have a list of files like the following:
    tools.png

2. Run the ThomasJepp.SaintsRow.ExtractPackfileGUI.exe program.
    The following window should pop up:
    extractpackfilegui.png

3. Click the Extract button. You will get a pop up file browser asking you to choose the packfile you want to extract:
    extract-filebrowser.png

Browse to the file you want to extract and click Open. In my example, I'm going to extract "misc_tables.vpp_pc".

4. Another window will pop up, this time asking where you want to extract your packfile to:
    extract-dirbrowser.png

In my example, I've chosen "D:\Gaming\Saints Row IV\extracted". When the extractor runs, it will create a new folder inside the one you choose with the same name as the original packfile - so my files will appear at "D:\Gaming\Saints Row IV\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc".

Don't try to extract files to the same folder as the original packfile - keep it separate.

Once you've chosen your folder, click OK.

5. Wait for your files to extract:
    extract-progress.png

Most small packfiles will finish this process in a few seconds. The larger packfiles may take several minutes - be patient.

6. Once finished, you will see:
    extract-finished.png

You can now click the Extract button to extract another packfile or click the close button at the top right of the window to finish.

Your files have now been extracted to the folder you chose!

In my example, when I browse to "D:\Gaming\Saints Row IV\extracted\misc_tables.vpp_pc", I see:
    extracted-files.png
If you have extracted a vpp_pc file, you should just be able to copy your modified files to the Saints Row IV folder - the same folder as SaintsRowIV.exe - and your changes should take effect.

If you have extracted a str2_pc file, you will need to repack the file and update the appropriate asm_pc file before you can see your changes. Once you've repacked the file and copied it to your Saints Row IV folder your changes should take effect.

Looks like I can access those Radio files like this :) WOOHOO! A Metal Station is in my grasp! Confirmed that the bnk extractor still works for these files, not sure who that'll surprise but I felt it beared mentioning :p

I thank you Minimaul for your excellent work on the SR4 tools and the very comprehendable guide.:cool:

so a newb question, how do I repack the file? with any old 7 zip or WinRar or with one of Minimaul's tools? NM derp. lol I'm just editing one of Idolninja's files for my tastes not modding pack files.

Back