Crashing at startup solutions not working.

I've recently bought Saints Row 2 and am still unable to get through the Gamespy logo screen before crashing.
I'm using a HP Pavilion dv4, Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit SP1, Intel Core i5-2410M CPU @ 2.30GHz, 4GB RAM. I've followed through all of the solutions listed on http://steamcommunity.com/app/9480/discussions/0/846958724811426425/ and http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1715922 without any success.

Running the game off fresh install didn't produce any setting.dat file, so I couldn't delete the file for it to be recreated, while using the windowed 800x600 settings file still caused me to crash. Steam game cache verification turned out OK. All USB devices are not attached during any of my attempts and running compatibility mode for Windows XP SP2 or 3 as well as disabling visual themes, desktop composition and display scaling on high DPI settings also didn't work. I'm unable to disable any enchantments in the speaker property settings since the tab does not show up at all. Game has been installed in C: drive, while reinstalling the game and DirectX multiple times also didn't do anything.

At this point I'm stumped on how to get Saints Row 2 working and are close to giving up on being able to ever run the game. Sorry for the wall of text but does anyone have any additional solutions to suggest?

I have one crazy idea, that you probably won´t be able to test, but it´s to try it on another operating system, windows 8/8.1 or something. But I guess you can´t simply go out and get a new operating system for your PC, but if you ever upgrade your OS on you pc, I think it´s worth a try.

you didn't say which graphic card you have
I see on hp website you "could" have a 9200GS 256MB but it seems optional so maybe you don't
in which case I'm not sure the integrated gfx card of the core i5 is enough to run the game
the minimum specs on steam website do specify you need at least shader model 3, 128MB (geforce 7600 or ATI X1300)

Back