Controller Problems

Okay it has been awhile since I had played Saints Row 4 I stopped sometime after I got bored with the Random Encounters Mod from xQd. I decided to start playing again just to glide and such to sort of pass the time while I can't play other games but I ran into a problem.

I play with a wired 360 controller and the whole layout is all jacked up now for some reason. I'm using the same controller as the previous one except I had to replace it with a new one because the old one broke. When I say the controls are all jacked I mean some have just been out right swapped or are non functional now.

Here is how it is now on foot (I don't remember exactly how the control scheme was setup):
Left Joystick -> Controls Camera
Right Joystick -> Controls Movement, and UP and DOWN are inverted
B -> Jump
A -> Reloads
X -> Opens Radial Menu
Y -> Gets into vehicles
Start -> Attack
Back -> Manual Aim
LB -> Sprint
RB -> Power
D-Pad -> Selects Powers
LT -> Nothing
RT -> Nothing
Left Joystick Click -> Nothing
Right Joystick Click -> Nothing

From what I remember the D-Pad, RB, LB, and Y are all functioning correctly.

There is nothing wrong with the controller itself as I've been playing PSO2, Dark Souls 2, and Skyrim and all 3 are working perfectly with the default setup as well as emulated games with setups I've created years ago.

Any help would be appreciated besides the typical comment just play with mouse and keyboard.

Last edited:
There's a rule against pointless polls.

Alright, there are options to reset the controls, one within each sub-menu of the controls and, if I recall correctly, one at the top level of the controls menu. It's a key listed at the bottom of the screen. If you reset ALL the controls, does your stuff work?

Nope that was one of my first attempts at fixing it. It wouldn't of worked anyways now that I think about it as you can't edit the control scheme of the controller you can only view how it is set-up. Also you can't edit the in-game menu button choices and those are messed up as well.

B -> Confirm
A -> Restore Default
X -> Back
Y -> Nothing

I've also tried uninstalling both the controller and Saints Row 4 and re-installing them.

Yeah this is an issue I have been having, just to check if it's the exact same root I have to ask, does this problem also apply to you for saints row the third?
Edit: Since I recently got around to getting a second hard drive I'll chuck everything to my larger drive and reinstall windows to the other drive to check if a fresh install fixes anything.

Last edited:
Nope that was one of my first attempts at fixing it. It wouldn't of worked anyways now that I think about it as you can't edit the control scheme of the controller you can only view how it is set-up. Also you can't edit the in-game menu button choices and those are messed up as well.

B -> Confirm
A -> Restore Default
X -> Back
Y -> Nothing

I've also tried uninstalling both the controller and Saints Row 4 and re-installing them.

Good news and bad news friend,the good news the issue can be fixed and is from something we both must have changed in windows at some point, the bad news I have no clue what the cause is outside of that.
If you're not to set back by reinstalling windows then do it and get everything running again and you'll find that things run as intended (the way I did things required me to verify integrity since I had torn the files from one drive to the other before the install to save me 5 hours download).

If you don't want to reinstall windows I don't know how to fix it in a less extreme way but it should be possible if you sink enough time into changing things back from previous changes you've made.

If anyone who reads this post has ideas of what could be the cause I at least would be interested to hear them since it doesn't seem like the kind of thing that tends to just happen.

Yeah I tried a fair few things before resorting to the whole reinstall windows thing, and it did appear to be for both saints row iv and the third but outside that then controller worked fine for all other games.
Seems it must have been some minor windows setting/file that interacts with the latter 2 saints row games but no other games.

Just got Saints Row 2 during the sale on steam since I was sick of my 360 being in the way. Anyways game works fine except for when I get into QTEs that involve the trigger buttons had to remap them as they weren't responding during that but worked fine outside of the QTE. Went through other games I played using a controller AVGN Adventures became another casualty triggers don't work so I can't plant myself and shoot.

I'm starting to think it is a hardware problem and not software related as all of these games besides SR2 I've played with a controller before and had no problem. Anybody know any good controllers for PC that have the same button layout as the 360 controller as I prefer it over the PS3 layout but that is the only type I ever find -_-.

The only issues I had with sr2s controls had to do with the bind setup which could be fixed with the gentlement of the row mod thingy, but had the exact same issue you had with the IV in both IV and TT which was fixed in both by a fresh install of windows.

There's next to no chance it's the hardware that's screwing up, if you have a spare hard drive somewhere you could check by disconnecting your main drive and installing windows to that drive instead of the main one then installing the games that have had issues with the controller and seeing if it persists (without installing all the other stuff to this other install of windows).
But as the same issue you had with TT/IV was fixable with a fresh install of windows, and outside of saints row games my controller never had any issues either, so yeah.

Back