Collection of T-Shirts for in Game

If the texture has a 'P' in it's name I think it means that you can alter it's colour in game. It probably stands for something like pattern.
Ye that does make sence,I think thers only certain ranges that work aswell like any thing under a certain darkness and lightness can not be coloured

Nice work on those Tees there bro.:cool:
View attachment 6305
View attachment 6306
Thanks for the info on the custmesh.str2 for the Old Steel shirt.
I retextured it as shown above and if you think it's good enough and would like to have it as an addition to your mod, let me know and it's yours.;)
Ye I love it its pretty dam cool, loooks like you put alot of effert in I like he gradient at the bottom on the overlaying shapes :D
and ye id totaly be willing to add it in and credit you :)

Should be pretty obvious. "P" stands for "pattern". That's the colored texture that controls which parts of the mesh are color-able.
Why would it be pretty obvious? I think if that was the case Idol of all people would have known
and as iv said this is first bit of clothes iv done to iv never worked with 'P' maps

Last edited:
I apologize if my comment appeared rude to you. Anyway, pattern maps are usually divided to 3 layers - red channel controls color #1, blue channel controls color #2 etc.
Its ok, it did seem a bit rude at the time but its cool now :), and by layer do you mean channel? as I think DDS images have to be single layer its why they use an alpha channel insted of an extra layer as far as im aware
and are you saying that it should be coloured in a certain way, as all work for digital use are normaly done in RGB and RGBA
Im guessing they would have to be coloured in acordence with how light works, e.g white is a mix of RGB and the lack of light or RGB would be black

I think this is why in game you start on like grey shade 5 for white or somthing along them lines im guessing that would be the same as 5% white in graphic terms

im going to try to look more into colouring things in game as its realy handy as every one likes diffrent colours

I'm using Photoshop. Every 3-color texture has each part of the texture painted on one channel, and it does not show up in the others. that's why you see bright reds, blues and greens on these textures.
Thats just how all light based images work, theyr not painted on them channels they are just renderd that way, theyr basic photogrpahy principals working with RGB, it would not efffect the use of only red green or blue colours or the saturation of them, as any colour and any tone can be made from RGB its same with CMYK but obv thats for print work

Iv done years of colour theory while doing my first art degree, aswell as went over it in while doing my photography degree

as you can prob tell I love Graphics/Art :p

Voltarox.
Thumbnails are your friend.
Remember this.

Everyone else...
Lets not turn this into a pissing contest.
If you want to continue your discussion, take it to PMs.

I found a document that confirms they are called pattern maps.

Dakota-BikerFemale.jpg

I think how it works is you halve the range of the diffuse map so each channel ranges from 0 to 127. Then if a particular channel is colour-able you add 128 to it's value.

So effectively if a texture is colour-able you halve it's colour space.

Slightly off topic but talking about colour spaces. I read somewhere that using the HSL colour space, in theory, reduces any visible artefacts when rendering. (That's why video compression algorithms use variations of it). I wonder why no one uses it in games?

I found a document that confirms they are called pattern maps.

View attachment 6307

I think how it works is you halve the range of the diffuse map so each channel ranges from 0 to 127. Then if a particular channel is colour-able you add 128 to it's value.

So effectively if a texture is colour-able you halve it's colour space.

Slightly off topic but talking about colour spaces. I read somewhere that using the HSL colour space, in theory, reduces any visible artefacts when rendering. (That's why video compression algorithms use variations of it). I wonder why no one uses it in games?
Ohh nice find any chance I can get a link to the orignal doc as I want to read it all and evan at full size on this site its to small

also where did you get the value 127 from? im pretty sure that when working with RBG each colour has a range of 255 :S

When I have time ill compare the colours in SRIV to panatone swatches, just by looking and judging by eye it looks like it works from 5%-95%, ill have to use digital swatches tho to confirm what im saying as my monior I play SRIV on is not colour calibrated

Ohh nice find any chance I can get a link to the orignal doc as I want to read it all and evan at full size on this site its to small

also where did you get the value 127 from? im pretty sure that when working with RBG each colour has a range of 255 :S

When I have time ill compare the colours in SRIV to panatone swatches, just by looking and judging by eye it looks like it works from 5%-95%, ill have to use digital swatches tho to confirm what im saying as my monior I play SRIV on is not colour calibrated

Sorry what I meant was when you merge the diffuse map and pattern map, in order to add the pattern map information, the diffuse map colours get reduced.

Each channel in a diffuse map is 8 bits (0-255) and in the pattern map it's 1 bit (0-1). So in order to merge them, the diffuse map gets reduced to 7 bits (0-127) and the pattern map gets merged into to the eighth bit.

So the pseudo shader code would be:
Code:
For each colour channel
    if InColour > 127
        OutColour=InColour-128+PatternColour (PatternColour is in the range 0-127)
    else
        OutColour=InColour+InColour

The document I referenced is the same size as the original. I got it from Kelly Snapka's blog who, I believe, is the art director at Volition.

Back